Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1

Hello to all. I am in need of some real help here. I have a camera, a Samsung Digimax 530, and my girlfriend and I took it on vacation and when we got back the camera formatted the photo card and wiped out all the pictures. She then took a test shot to see if the card was even reading anything and when she realized it was whe then deleted that test pic. We took it to a Comp USA store where someone used a program to try and bring back the pictures but the only one he could get back was that test shot. Now, I don't know much about this stuff, but can that one picture she took to test the card after it formatted and lost all the pictures have over-written the other 95 she lost? Also, this guy couldn't get the pics back, and I am sure he was using some standard program, is there anyone out there that knows of a place that can get them back, or knows of a more suffisticated program to get the pics back? Please, if anyone knows if I can get these pics back I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.
JCT241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, first of all, don't take any more test shots, and don't do anything else that writes to the card (deletes, format, disk utilities, etc.).

Everytime you take a photo (or write to the card in any way), you're probably going to damage some of the photos you want to recover. It's too late now, but perhaps most can still be recovered. Hopefully, the guy at the store ddn't try to run any disk utilities that may have overwritten the data (a format usually doesn't).

First of all, try this free program (Digital Image Recovery). You can download it using this link:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

When you install and run the program, select English as the language (unless you want to use another choice). Then, select the drive letter for your card reader or camera (look under "My Computer" and make note of the drive letter assigned to it), select a destination directory on your hard disk for the photos to be written to, and leave everything else as default. Then, press the Start button on it's screen, and it will read through your card and write the images recovered to the folder you selected on your PC.

If you don't understand what you're seeing, just ask.

If this freeprogram (Digital Image RecoverY) is unable to recover the images (and most of the time, it works quite well), try Photorescue. They have a trial version you can download to see if it's going to work or not before you buy it:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Digital Image Recover is a relatively simple program to use.

There are only 3 steps after your load it:

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:30 PM   #4
Administrator

This is what it looks like when it's running (after you select the drive letter for your memory card that shows up under "My Computer",select adestination folder on your hard disk and pressStart).

If you don'tunderstand how to use it, just let us know where you're gettinglost at.

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2005, 4:45 PM   #5

Hi,
This Digital Image Recovery did 90% good on recovering my photos, but it did not get any of the videos. Is there something else i need to do, or another program i can use to get the videos? (preferably free like Digital Image Recovery :-) ?

BTW, thanks. This thread really saved me. I had found another one (hadn't looked that long) that looked like it could save my videos, but it cost $29. Not a bad price, I would most definitely pay that for what i could get out of it. But I saw this one mentioned for free and i was very pleased.
Thanks
pixel41
pixel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:19 PM   #6
Administrator

I haven't looked into any recovery programs specializing in getting video, too. You may want to take a look at the utilities we have listed on this page (it looks like some of them may supportvideo files):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_utils.html