Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:32 PM   #1

I stumbled accross the PNY SD to CF Type I adapter on Amazon a week or so ago, but it's unavailable for purchase and I haven't managed to find any websites that sell it. I ordered a SD to CF Type II adapter on ebay that does the same thing - then found out, my Canon Elph S400 only takes the Type I CF cards, so I ordered a Type I adapter - turns out I didn't read the measurements like I should have and the adapter is NOT the same size as a normal Type I card, its much longer so would stick out of the camera, kinda pointless and a waste of my $30!!

Right now I have $60 worth of SD to CF adapters that don't do me any good, I know the PNY one is exactly what I am looking for but other than a few excellent reviews I've read about it - I can't find anywhere to actually BUY the dang thing.

The product I'm referring to is this one:
http://www.positiveimagenews.com/reviews/hardware/pny/sdcf_adapter/

Please please pleeaaseee tell me where to buy it, or something like it - the PNY website doesn't even list it anymore, I can't find any proof of its existance other than in press releases and reviews! Thanks!
Nitromethane1261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:57 PM   #2
Administrator

You'll need to do your own research on suitability for use in your camera.

But,Minolta has one that you may want to check out that apparently works in some of their smaller models that take CompactFlash Type I.

Konica-Minolta SD-CF1 Adapter

Unfortunately, it looks like it's sold out almost everywhere. Even brick and mortar stores like B&H show sold out on their web sites.

Buy.com has a note on their web site saying very few left, may sell out (the only vendor I see left with stock info for it). You may want to call and verify that they can really get them if you go that route.

Price Search for Minolta SD-CF1 Adapter

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:59 PM   #3

Based on the price range given for the KM adapter ($52-$74 not including shipping and tax), you may be better (or almost better) off just purchasing a CF card. Memory is very cheap, and you could get a 512mg cf card for roughly the same price, and then not have to worry about hassling with an adapter, and better yet be able to take more pictures NOW!!! Many devices take SD cards so I'm sure you can either find a use for them, or maybe sell them on ebay to help fund your photo habit.

Good luck!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4

I ordered the Minolta from MWave.com - Buy.com told me they are sold out

I have probably spent more on the stupid SD card "conversion" than it would have cost me for 1, maybe even 2gb of CF - and only have a 512mb SD card to show for it, but it's a lesson learned If the Minolta works the way it should, then to me that means smaller memory cards = easier to carry them, more versatility in which devices I can use my memory cards in, and no more external USB card reader since my laptop has a built in SD/MMC card reader.

It's a convenience factor rather than a cost factor - and hopefully I can re-sell the adapaters I bought on ebay without too much loss And hopefully MWave.com won't email me on Monday saying "hey we lied on our website those are actually sold out and back ordered till 2010".

Thanks!
Nitromethane1261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:20 PM   #5
Administrator

Nitromethane1261 wrote:
Quote:
I ordered the Minolta from MWave.com - Buy.com told me they are sold out
Quote:
[snip]
Quote:
And hopefully MWave.com won't email me on Monday saying "hey we lied on our website those are actually sold out and back ordered till 2010".
Yep... I wouldn't trust a web site's stock info when companies start saying they're sold out.

Most of the internet vendors all buy from the same distributors, and don't really stock anything. They just process orders, with the distributors (for example: Techdata, Ingram Micro) providing order fullfillment services.

The vendor and distributor systems are usually tied together so you get order information, tracking numbers when something ships, etc. Ditto for custom shipping lables and invoices that make it look like something came from the vendor you do business with (when the fullfillment is happening at the distributor warehouse locations).

Even the "big boys" like Dell.com and buy.com use distributors in this way (although Dell's order system could use better integration with their distributors, based onmy past experience ordering digicam related items from them).

Ditto for the returns. They usually don't go back to the vendor. The address they give you is really for a distributor for the majority of internet vendors (that happened to me for one of my Dell orders a while back -- the address I got was really a distributor). In the past, I've also tracked down addresses items came from when using other internet vendors, too. They matched up to warehouse locations for major distributors in most cases.

Now, there are some internet vendors with brick and mortar locations that may actually stock and handle the items they sell. But, these are in the minority.

So, yes, I'd be concerned about the accuracy of stock info I saw on a web site.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote