Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:15 AM   #1

Default 256md XD Card Compatibility

With the impending arrival of 256md XD cards does anybody know which fuji cams these cards will be compatible with? I own a finepix 3800/s304 and would like to be able to use 256mb xd media if possible.

Thanks

Ches
Cheslynmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:34 PM   #2

Good question.I just bought a new C-5050 and it can use XD.I just hope it isn't like the Smart Media cards.I have a D490Z that won't use anything higher than 64.That was one reason why I bought the C-5050,because it uses CFI,CFII,MicroDrive,XD,and Smart Media.I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 9:44 AM   #3

EasyRay,
I concur with you. :P I just bought the same camera C-5050Z but as I have read and spoken to a few camera wizards the 256 xD should be no problem. I think it has to do witht he camera Mfr. because I have a HP C200 that is only supposed to take a 64mb cf1 but I put a 128 in and I have no problems at all. Just more picture availability than I could ever imagine! :lol:
Mr.snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 3:19 PM   #4

Mr.snoman,
I think I read somewhere that the controller is built into the CF cards so it shouldn't be a problem for those cards.That said I think the controller for SM is in the camera,and I don't know about XD.I heard the XD cards will eventually go to six gigs but will my C-5050 be able to see it?Anyway I still have CF to fall back on.
By that time I might even have a new unit,although I really like this one.I like the choices this one gives me.
Shoot,shoot,shoot but just keep what you like.You gotta love digital!

Ray

D490Z,C5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 4:54 PM   #5

I had a SmartMedia camera that couldn't accept cards over 64MB, so I recognise the potential problem, but as far as I have heard this will not be the case with xD cards.

I think that the problem with SM cards was that they used the outer reaches of the card that some older devices just physically couldn't read. I am sure that when designing the xD card, Oly and Fuji used their experience not to have the same problem again.

I have actually just sent an e-mail direct to Olympus regarding this issue and if/when I get a reply I'll post it here. Hopefully they'll give me a direct answer because so far we are just working on rumors and thoughts.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 1:46 AM   #6

Greetings,

I haven't had a chance to buy a 128 MB xD card but with the new 256 MB xD cards that seems a bit better for when I go to conventions (I go to japanese animation conventions and take pics of people in costume and of industry pannels) and am wondering if any of you know if the Fuji FinePix 2650 can take full advantage of the 256 MB card?

I plan on getting a Olympus C-50 later on in the year and if that can handle the 256 MB xD card that would be great.

Thanks,
Joe
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:57 AM   #7
Administrator

xD-Picture card info here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#xd

Be sure to follow the links to read the Fuji/Oly press releases for more info about the workings of the cards.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:57 AM   #8

Got off the phone with Fuji and the 256 xD card should not pose a problem for the 3800/s304 camera (I have one too!). The controller is built into the card, so it would seem that the upper end of the spectrum (1gig) should also pose no problem(although the tech would not 100% confrim this as they are not out yet).
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote