Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:26 PM   #1

Please list your SDreaders that will read 2GB SD Media by brand and model, as well as those that won't. If you could give some idea of the perfomance of the ones that will, all the better......Thanks
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:27 AM   #2

HI

I have two readers TwinMos. One mini CRW42SA 4in1 and one CRW8A4 8in1.

32mb MMC !!! came with my Nokia ( too small :lol: )

128mb SD Sandisk, ~4mb r/w

1gb SD Sandisk ( blue, red ), ~8mb r/w ( spare :-) )

1gb MMC Silicon Power,~1.5mb r/w ( now in my Nokia )

2gb SD TwinMos (:sad: don`t work withCRW42SA ) ~9.5mb r/w. ( Z750 )

Mike
mike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:56 PM   #3

This is just a suggestion to make it clear and easy for everyone reading this, let's use this convention: This one reads 2GB cards make-model-performance. OR This one does NOTread 2GB cards make-model.

So for mike99's card readers itwould look like this:

This one reads 2GB cards: TwinMos-CRW8A4 8 in 1- performance unknown.

This one does NOT read 2GB cards: TwinMOs-CRW42SA 4 in 1.

(If you can give some performance information for the ones that do, all the better)

Thanks...

Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:17 AM   #4

I use 3 different readers and they allwork withmy Corsair 2GB 133x SD card.

The reader at WalMart where I sometimes make prints. I don't know the make or model of their reader but my card works fine in it.

My cheapo ($5.99 last year at Aldi's)Tevion 8 in 1 Card Reader/Card Writer, Item Code 5814, USB 2.0. It took 7:45 to copy 768MB of files (pics and movies) from my 2GB card to my hard drive.

Myinexpensive ($18.64 online)but real nice Lexar Single Slot Multi-Card Reader,Part Number RW023-001, USB 2.0. This reader also doubles as a thumb drive.For a thumb drive it's a little big but it's still pretty cool to have a 2GB thumb drive! It's a lot faster than the Tevion. It only took 1:36 to copy the same 768MB of files from the 2GB card to the hard drive.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:58 PM   #5

Another two mini card readers.

With 2gb SD 66x TwinMos don`t work

http://www.usbworld.net/product_show.asp?p_id=103

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...601&depa=0

Mike

PS. Why all this cards are not compliant with 2gb SD ?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:27 AM   #6

I have a couple of new cardreaders and a new memory card. First the memory card, it's a 2GB A-Data Turbo 150X SD card. I have benched it with the "Removeable Storage/Flash" benchmark module in SiSoft Sandra. It benches the same as the 2GB Corsair 133X SD card (using my blazingfast reader). So much for 150X. Even so I'm going with the A-Data card since it'sless expensiveand it works in my EX-Z750 too.

Now for the card readers, first is the SimpleTech "HI-SPEED Bonzai USB2.0 Upgradeable FlashDrive". I like it because of the form factor, it's much smaller than the Lexar "Single Slot Multi-Card Reader". Both are small enough to be decent substitues for"dedicated"flash drives, though not as fast as say a SanDisk Titanium. And in the case of the Bonzai it's really not that much bigger than a normalflash drive. The great thing is theircapacities areonly dependent on the size of your flash card/cards unlike a dedicated flash drive. The Lexar handles more types of cards: Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, SD, MMC, and xD. TheSimpleTech only handles: SD, MMC, mini-SD and RS-MMC.Even though theBonzaiacceptsfewer types offlash cards andbenches out as being just a little slower than the Lexar (2 to 5 percent or just a few seconds with 1.4 GB of files on my 2GB card) it's the one I'm going to keep. Since I only have SD cards it boils down to this "a few seconds faster" or the"size". It'shard for me, a semi-tech junkie, to admit but in this case I guess function follows form. Also the Bonzai is a little cheaper.

It might also help that I have the blazing fast SanDisk "ImageMate USB2.0 5-in-1" card reader. It's a portable workstation sized reader. And, while it's smaller than many portable readers, it will never be confused for a thumb drive. It's the reader that let mesee some real performancefrom the A-Data 150X and the Corsair 133X2GB cards. SiSoft Sandra shows the Lexar and SimpleTech readers aren't even in the same leaguewith the SanDisk 5-in-1. And my own timing of tranferring to and copying from the cards, a mixed1.4GB folderof movie and picture files, shows that it is from 53 to 57 percent (or a minutefifteen to a minute and a half)faster than either of the smaller readers.

To recap: I have kept the A-Data 2GB Turbo 150X card because it works in my EX-Z750 and isjust as fast but less expensive than the Corsair. I'm keeping the Bonzai for something to slip in my pocket in case I want to download some pitures onto someone's computer when I'm just out for the day. And I'm keeping the SanDisk 5-in-1 because it kicks butt!!!!

I apologise for turning this into a mini novel but I wanted to help people who may havesimilar questions as I did and who also are coming up empty when trying to find pertinent reviews on the internet.

Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:48 AM   #7

Any shape tinier than Lexar Single Slot Multi Card Reader/Writer?

http://www.meritline.com/lexar-singl...rd-reader.html

And any capacity larger than Transend 4GB Ultra-Plus 150X SD Card?

http://www.meritline.com/transcend-4...l-sd-card.html

They're the most wonderful things I've found!
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:53 AM   #8

LOL...So much for the novel.

Yes, the SimpleTech "HI-SPEED Bonzai USB2.0 Upgradeable FlashDrive" is a lot smaller than that Lexar drive. If you'd like to know a little more about it read my post just above yours.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 2:16 AM   #9

Link to the Bonzai:http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...e&nextloc=
Old Sep 24, 2005, 4:22 AM   #10

I can buy this small Bonzai reader but with 512 SD card. All cost 65 euro. Too much and what can I do with 512 SD card ?Device are in plastic bag and are closed.I can not make a test with my 2gb SD card in the shop.What certitude I haveif I buy this device ?

Mike

PS. Sorry for my poor English