Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:02 AM   #1
Smi

This is coming after a few days frantic searching and utilitising to see if I can rescue it.
Canon A95
Integral 512mb Compact Flash Card

I was at the zoo, taken about 100 pictures, some of which (even though I say so myself) were amazing. Or something. Anyway, was looking through them at lunch and found one that only had a tiny preview and the message "corrupted image"
This happens occasionally, and it was just one file, so I deleted it. It was followed by a second one with a question mark as the preview and the message "corrupted data"
odd. I deleted that one too, and powered down the camera. Next time I go to turn it on to take some photos of a warthog, it beeps at me and says "Memory card error"
Shit.
Looking at the capacity in the menu (it shows how much space it can hold) it is listed on the camera as being a 3.57mb card. now THATS odd.
I spent the rest of the day using my 32mb card which lasted all of 11 shots.

Anyway, I get home, put the card into a Jessops reader, and try to open it.
"Please insert disc into drive F:"
SO it cant read.

Ive been scouring the internet for help and have tried a multitide of programs.
PC Inspector SMart Recovery has been the best, although it came up with this data:

data sections: 996030
Sector count: 996030
error count: 0
found files: 0
Sectors with data: 2

That cant be good, really.

At this point, I thought screw it, I'll just admit defeat, lose the photos and format it. I stick the card into the camera, menu over to format and hit Set. The camera turns off.
I try again, hit set. The camera turns off. So, not only will it not read, the CF card will now not format either.

Another thread on another forum suggested a method using a HEX editor.
I tried this, and got lots of I/O read errors and every single data sector had "? Bad Sector ?" next to it.

I'd love to get these photos back. It was an amazing day with my friends and There were some great photo opertunities. Is there anything I can do to reclaim this card, or is it terminal? I cant even format it and save the physical card itself!

I know it sounds odd, but I didnt do anything wrong at all. No hot-swapping, no powering down while its reading, no taking batteries out while the cameras on. Im clean, it wasnt my fault. Its just really, really, really irritating.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?
Smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Unfortunately it sounds like an electrically dead CF card - no utility is going to resurrect it because it has to be able to at least be accessible by a card reader. Sorry, but you know the saying - sh*t happens
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:26 AM   #3
Smi

just got a reply from Integral Memory soloutions - they say to send it back and they'll try and recover the data using more industrial methods. Oh, and they'll replace it free of charge too.

So its not all bad. Ive just lost all those photos. Hohum.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:47 AM   #4

Smi wrote:
Quote:
just got a reply from Integral Memory soloutions - they say to send it back and they'll try and recover the data using more industrial methods. Oh, and they'll replace it free of charge too.

So its not all bad. Ive just lost all those photos. Hohum.
But you are sure that other cards work properly, right? If all your cards were malfunctioning, it might be a bent contact pin inside the camera, but if other cards are okay, that shouldn't be it.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:53 PM   #5
Smi

all the other cards were fine.

It was accesable by a memory card reader - my post said that I managed to access it, it was just all corrupted :!:
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:35 AM   #6

Smi - any luck? I ran into same problem. Was shooting short videos, and camera shut down. Thought it was batteries; after switching those and installing new card, worked fine. When I installed disc intoPC, recieved error "read only access". My brother thinks that possibly I used so much memory, that the last videodid not recieve a tag at the end to close, or possibly have dirt in pin holes.
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote