Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:22 PM   #1

I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix 7900 digital camera and need to purchase an SD card for it. I planned on buying the ATP 60X 512M SD Flash card, but i'm not sure what the term "Flash" means. Will this card work in my camera? The camera specs says it takes an SD memory card.
niatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:00 AM   #2

"SD flashcard" is just another way of saying "SD memory". SD memory is just one of the many types of flash memory. A 1GB SD memory card would be a good choice for this camera. When it comes to memory bigger is better.
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:26 PM   #3

Thank you for the answer. Another question, if I may, as I'm not very up on all this new technology. Is a card reader a machine the SD card gets plugged into, and then the card reader transfers the pictures to the computer?

I am hoping I can get by without this card reader. My computer runs Windows XP Pro, if that makes any difference.
niatrick
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:03 PM   #4

That is what a card reader is. You can get by without one. Card readers are cheap and handy but not essential. Another thing to consider is, some readers are faster at transferringfiles to your PC than the camera.
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the answers. This is my third digital camera, but the technology has certainly changed since my first one. My second one was a Sony Mavica, and although it had a nice 10x optical zoom, I found the pictures to be unreliable. Plus, the huge size of the thing was burdensome. I need a good camera for my business (breeding and showing, and selling miniature horses, so I can send photos to clients and put them up on my website.

I guess I keep finding questions so I might as well ask another one. How do I transfer the videos from my camera to my website? What software do I need to accomplish this?

I just got my Nikon in the mail today, so haven't had much time to do anything other than charge up the battery and take a pic of my husband sleeping on the sofa, LOL.

Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:56 AM   #6

The full name of SD card is Secure Digital Flash Memory Card, because it uses flash memory chips, not the hard disk drive, so people like call it SD Flash card.
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:14 AM   #7

Semiconductor memory types:

RWM- Read Write Memory , will loose memory when no power (DRAm or Dynamic RAM, SRAM or Static RAM, NV RAM or Non Volatile RAM is just an exteremly low power RAM with battery backup)

ROM- Read Only Memory - mass programmed at factory, cannot be erased

WORM- Write Once Read Only, like ROM but can be programmed by user , once only, the process is called OTP or One Time Programming

PROM- This is the common name of WORM - Programmable Read Only Memory

EPROM- Erasable Programmable ROM- can be erased by exposing transparent window to Ultraviolet

EEPROM - Electrically Erasable PROM- Can be erased by connecting a pin to a voltage source

And Finally Flash ROM - Same as EEPROM but using different technology, can be erase with electricity, has two variants, NOR or NAND, now has many flavors:

PCMCIA Memory CArd, CompactFlash (CF), Smart Media, Sony Memory Stick, MMC, SD, XD

Almost all types of memories now in use on protable devices use flash memory

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote