Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1

Hi i am having trouble with my Gateway DC-T50 Digital Camera.I have tried all the windows updates up the usb ports and all and stilldoesn't work ! I can only get my pics with a card reader.I want to upgrade the firmware but i can't even do that ! I have windows XP Home edition with service pack 2.It suppose to be a removable drive that shows up under my computer.I have had other usb devices plugged up to this port and they work fine.My usb cord for the camera is fine too.I really like the camera and it takes good photos but i really need to update the firmware. Please anyone who can help me post .:?
reddielocks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried the camera on another PC to rule out a camera problem?

Also, does your model have a way to set the mode it's in while using the USB Port (some models allow you to change protocols to PTP for direct printing, so I'd make sure you didn't set it this way by accident)?

Are you sure it's not recognizing it (check for the camera under "My Computer" when it's plugged in, and see if it shows up as a removable drive)?

The wizard not starting, and Windows not recognizing the camera are two different problems (and some users get them mixed up).

You may also want to try removing (physically unplugging them) all other USB devices and see if the camera is recgonized then. It's not uncommon to see some conflicts with USB devices (for example, withan HP Printer monitor running, I've had problems with Windows recognizing one of my cameras)

If you're sure it's not the camera, you may want to try removing all USB related drivers, and let Windows reinstall them. One way to get to the USB drivers is Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

Did you upgrade to Service Pack 2, or was your PC that way to begin with? SP2 did cause a lot of USB related problems, but removing alldrivers and reinstalling them usually corrects it (backing out SP2 usually corrects it, too)

P.S.

I just checked the downloads portion of the gateway.com web site for firmware updates, and I didn't see any for your model (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). The only thing I saw was updated drivers for Windows '98. But, I didn't have a valid serial number to search with, so I used the camera name in a keyword search.

If one is available, I'd check the instructions. Most of the time, you're simply copying the update to a memory card (which can be done with a card reader). Then, the camera recognizes the firmware update on the memory card when you power it up, and asks if you want to update the firmware).

Gateway (or the rather, thereal camera manufacturer) could be doing it differently, requiring the camera be plugged in via USB (but, that would be highly unusual).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:49 AM   #3

Did you turn the mode dial to the "up and down angled arrows" setting when you were trying to upload the pictures from your camera to your PC? To update the firmware you need to copy the firmware .bin fileto the root directory of the SD card. (Make surethe camera isplugged into the AC adapter and don't interrupt it while it's updating) Press and hold the UP key and then press the POWER button. The update will begin and you can see the progress on the screen. When it is complete the LED next to the viewfinder will flash green.
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

I did all the things you said and some i have already did if you read my first post.The camera works fine on another computer .:angry:
reddielocks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:57 PM   #5
Administrator

I'd just use a card reader.

Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:16 PM   #6

I did read your first post before I responded and I read it again just now. It said you were able to plug other usb devices into your computer and they worked fine. And that you had done the windows updates. I don't see where you tried to removethe usbin the device manager and then restarted and let it find the usb and reinstall itself. Or really any of the other things we recommended. Oh well, I agree use a card reader. If you put the firmware .bin file on the SD card into the root directory (the first thing that it opens to when you open the card using the card reader) and did the steps to update the firmware and it won't update then it may be that your firmware is already current. Did you check to see if it was? Or maybe the file is the wrong file. Or maybe the camera is a little messed up. I don't own this camera, have never seen it, just thought I would help so I researched it for you. I am done now. Good luck.
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:16 AM   #7
Administrator

To emphasis this *again*, many users had problems with USB attached cameras and devices after upgrading to SP2.

Upgrading drivers doesn't always work.

Instead, you must removeeverything USB related from device manager, ignoring any "new hardware found" messages during the process. Then, reboot and let Windows find the USBhardware and reinstall the needed drivers to correct the problems. I'd make sure to disconnect anything from USB ports during this process.

After it finds your USB hardware and installs the drivers,then plug in your camera and let it see your camera first (before plugging back in printers, etc.).

If this is too much trouble, just use a card reader (or back out SP2, which could leave you more vunerable to problems that it fixed).

From what you're telling us about your camera working on another PC, this is probably what it's going to take to fix it.

P.S. -- if you're running any of Norton's Security Products (i.e., Firewall), try shutting it down to see if it's causing problems reading from removable media. I ended up removing all Norton Products from my PC due to a number of issues (mostly Outlook crashes and slow PC performance, but users have reported problems with removable media, too).

They couldn't pay me to use their products (even though I lovethe older Nortonproducts that were actually written by Peter Nortonmany years ago). Well, maybe if they paid me a million bucks or so, I'd consider it. ;-)