Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:34 PM   #1

Do somebody know if the harddrive in the new Creative Muvo 2 5GB version works in Digitalcameras or is it only the earlier 4 GB versions that works, i heard that the newer ones doesn't work in digitalcameras..

Regards, Tomas.
Scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2

better then 50% chance it won't work as they have made these ATA units generally and not supportingthe CF/CF+ standard. you can get a 6gb card made by hitachi for $238 from newegg. it not worth cracking a perfectly good mp3 player open anymore.

the 5 gb drives are generally made by seagate they were not designed for camera use.

now the question is what camera do you have because if it does not support fat 32 anything above 2gb will not be seen.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:37 AM   #3

I have recently bought a Canon EOS 350D, in US named Rebel XT.

I just saw that Creative has a newer model, a 5GB verison of the Muvo 2 but as you said, i think it's a Seagate ST1 as well and we know that they don't work in digitalcameras.

How about the older Muvo 2 with 4 GB drives, they got to be with the Hitachi 4 GB drive?

I feel mostly bad for buying a good mp3-player and then just waste it to get a harddrive..
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:46 AM   #4

why don't you just buy the 6gb hitachi or the 4gb one retail?they're real cheap now and is gaurenteed to work whats the point of cracking a drive that may or may not work with no warranty

6gb hitachi - $238

4gb hitachi - $158

www.zipzoomfly.com
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:04 AM   #5

The problem is that i live in Sweden, and those drives cost a lot more here than in US.

If i were to order a drive from US i get punished by taxes and other BS by the swedish toll.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:21 AM   #6

now that you've added your location i can now comprehend your issue.

i look at it from this perspective. microdrives are bigger. microdrives are more prone to failure if mishandled. you play the odds by cracking one. no warranty if it fails thats X kroner/euros spent onto the toilet. i stick with solid state cf cards of quality manufacturers with warrantees that allow a replacement for as long as i own them. i had 2 cards fail in my digital existance so for. i was able to recover the images (yes even after failure)and a week or so later i had new cards replacing the dead ones. the initial cost to purchase these cards was higher but the fact that they were replaced and that i had a substantially greater chance on retrieving the images even after failure made that worth the extra investment. i invested in not just the expensive card but in the images that they will hold. solid state cards generally show the signs of failureearly on (a warning) vsthen a spinning MD which just plain dies.

you have to decide what your images are worth and to then roll the dice of chance with a MD out of another product.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:38 AM   #7

Yeah i know the fact of it being a plain harddrive makes the failure issue a little bigger problem.

But the thing is that im not aiming for a quick card, i just want much space since i usually shoot a lot of pictures when going on a vacation or just simply shoot anything at all.

I know that both flashcards and harddrives can fail so it's no fun at all loosing any pictures. but then again, the harddrives offer more space for a less amount of money.

Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:59 AM   #8

the failure rate is proven to be greater. its your images. if you want to go that route i'd rather see youinvest in a external HD/downloader like this. buy it empty and put the 2.5" drive of your dreams in it. that then makes your smaller card a virtual monster. the laptop drives are proven to be much more reliable then the MD. i used this one in NZ and AU with a 40gb in it as my backup. it can handle over a 100gb drive in it

i ordered mine empty from australia and got it here in in the US in4 days. used a old laptop 40gbdrive init for the trip along with 2 sets of 2500mah AA nimh batteries. you can generally do 8+ 2gb downloads before it needs a recharge. it also comes with a international charger and a car charger too. in addition it can just act as an additional drive on your regular computer.now that to me is investing in something useful.

Attached Images