Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

My girlfriend has a Fujifilm A210 camera and for some time now every time a picture is taken it takes a long time (more than 5 or 6seconds). The camera used to be ready again in a very short time after taking a picture.

I once told her to format the card in the camera and it seemed to solve the problem but after some time it started happening again.

What can cause this? The camera uses xD memory cards and the particular card she is using as 128 MB.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:06 AM   #2

Try the 16 MB xD card that came with the camera and compare the results.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:02 PM   #3
Administrator

Steve tested cycle times at just over 3 seconds with this camera.

Have you actually timed it? It may just be her perception of the time, since Autofocus also comes into the equation (darker conditions, or a subject with less contrast will take longer to focus).

Flash photoswill also take longer (with the time to recharge the flash increasing as your distance to subject increases).

Over 5 seconds wouldbe expected using flash with a model that only has 2 AA batteries powering it,unless you're very close to your subject (since the further away you are, the longer the flash burst).

Is your girlfriend using good batteries? I'd make sure to use high capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:18 PM   #4

I have not had the chance to tell her to try with the other card. I did see by myself the camera behaving this way. It was broad daylight with no flash and freshly charged batteries. This is AFTER the shot.

Does recharging the flash prevent taking pictures in this A210? I have a Kodak DX4330 which is ready very quickly (about 1 second)after a shot. If the flash has not recharged yet a red light will flash but that won't prevent taking a picture and if you do the flash won't fire. But what I am talking about is that after taking a picture, the screen goes blank for a relatively long time before the next picture can be taken. It did not use to be that slow before.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 6:21 PM   #5
Administrator

Many cameras that have a flash won't take photos until it's recharged if a flash is needed.

I don't know about the Fuji'sbehavior, but I'd expect that to be the case.

As for how long it would take to recharge would depend on the length of the flash burst and the amount of light needed to make a difference. The closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst (and the faster the recharge time).

As a general rule, a camera with only two AA batteries has a very slow flash recharge time.

Do you get the same behavior with shots outdoors without a flash?

Are you sure you she didn't change something else (resolution, etc. which may impact file save times)?

You could try resetting it back to factory defaults. Scroll down to the last menu choice under Setup and you'll see RESET.

Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:01 PM   #6
Administrator

Also check the Image Displaychoice under Setup (displays the photo taken for 2 seconds). I don't know if this is before, after or during the time the image is being saved to the memory card. I'd turn it off to see if that helps.

Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:02 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Do you get the same behavior with shots outdoors without a flash?

Are you sure you she didn't change something else (resolution, etc. which may impact file save times)?
I believe I said that I saw it happening during daytime shooting without flash. Also in my first message I said that formatting the card fixed it but it is doing it again.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:12 PM   #8
Administrator

If formatting fixes it, then I'd suspect something is messing up the card (probably her PC ifshe is writing to the card with it). But, a memory card shouldn't be subject to slowdowns from not formatting (they work a bit differently, and you shouldn't havea problem with fragmentation you get with hard disk drives).

However, I always format my memory cards prior to every use (it's just as fast as deleting images with most cameras, and this insures you always start out with a fresh FAT).

I also don't write to the memory card using anything but the camera, which means I never cut and past (or move images) images using a PC (since these operations write to the media when they delete the image files from it).

Instead, I only copy from a memory card using a PC. Then, I format my memory cards usinga camera's menu choice for format, before I will use a card again.

Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:18 PM   #9

Well, this is the old debate of writing on the card from the PC. My camera uses SD cards and I write in them all the time, sometimes using them with an adapter as a pen drive and never have a problem with them. But that doesn't mean xD cards and Fuji cameras are the same. I was thinking about fragmentation but if this is not likely well.... we'll see. I will tell her to format the card regularly and see if it doesn't happen anymore.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:37 PM   #10
Administrator

I'd make sure to turn off caching to any media you're going to use in a camera.
Attached Images