Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1

Hi All,

I have just ordered Kingston Technology 1GB Compact Flash Card -CF/1024[/b]for my canon 1s IS which is also ordered. I knew that the card speed is less but picked it up because of low price. Now i want to know that will this provide me enough speed to record full resolution movie on my camera. Also for the continuous shoots...

anybody who has used this card along with the canon 1s IS ...please provide your inputs..

TIA

Ranjan
rmamgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, I did some digging and found one Canon S1 IS user that indicated he was only able to get about 30 seconds of video before the camera would stop recording with a Kingston 512mb standard speed card. He indicated he needed to wait for at least 6 seconds before he could record again each time that happened.

Another user said he was able to get a little over 40 seconds. A little more digging around and I found more users indicating that their Kingston cards were useless for video in the S1 IS.

You might get lucky and get a card that's faster (there's no guarantee that the same components will be used between two cards from the same manufacturer).

Interestingly, one poster said he was able to record over 4 minutes on a Lexar 4X standard speed card (when he couldn't get more than 30 seconds with a Kingston). So, the particular Kingston card this user bought must have been very slow for an old Lexar to beat it (or the Lexar must have been much faster than rated).

I found posts from a few more users with similar issues using Kingston Cards in the S1 IS. Some users said that their Kingston cards would record video (for a short time), yet wouldn't play it back on the camera. I also found some users with similar issues with the higher speed cards (Elite Pro) in this model.

But, I did find some Kingston users that said their cards worked fine (both the standard speed and Elite Pro cards). So, it may depend on what generation of card you get (newer ones may not have problems). But, keep in mind that most vendors won't allow you to return a memory card if you open the manufacturer's packaging.

I've seen similar speed problems from Kingston cards in other models. For example, they are very slow in some of the Konica-Minolta models. Interestingly, the supposedly faster Kingston Elite Pro tests even slower than their standard speed cards in some KM models.

Apparently, it's some kind of compatiblity issue with certain KM models and Kingston impacting speed (as they seem to work fine in many cameras). I'd expect that something similar is happening with Canon S1 IS compatibility (at least with some generations of Kingston's cards).

Given the problems I've found reported (from both Canon and KM owners), Kingston would be on my avoid list.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 2:11 PM   #3
Administrator

Well, I just found out that a firmware upgrade to the camera may correct the issues with CompactFlash compatibility.

A user posting that he couldn't get but 13 seconds of video using a Kingston 1GB card with an S1 IS indicates that upgrading the camera's firmware solved the problem.

So, if you upgrade your firmware,Kingston cardswill probably work OK. Here is the link:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:17 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot. Ithink that its better to avoid kingston card.

I assume that the sandisk Ultra -II card have no compatiablity issues with canon 1s IS.

Best Regards

Ranjan

rmamgain is offline   Reply With Quote