Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:25 AM   #1
LT7

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kodak Compact Flash Cards? I found some at a Target in my area (512 Kodak CF Cards) for around $38.00. I was just wondering if it wasworth it, and if anyone had any experience with it. I already have a 1G SanDisk Ultra II, but would like a back up or two. Thanks - LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Administrator

It's unlikely that Kodak is manufacturing these cards. They are probably being OEM'd for them by one of the major flash memory manufacturers (Sandisk, etc.). They may even have more than one supplier, depending on what "batch" you get.

But, I don't know anyone that's used them. They are probably fine (but I have no idea how fast they are).

Are you using a camera that may be able to take advantage of a fast card (most non-DSLR models won't, since the camera's interface to media is the bottleneck to the card, versus the speed of the card itself).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:59 PM   #3
LT7

Thanks for the information, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Kodak is not manufacturing them but having someone else produce it for them, but I wasn't sure if that was true, and don't remeber who was making it for them.

I suppose since they will be my back-up cards it really wouldn't matter how fast they are. I use the KM Maxxum 7D.

P/S - I found the two places where it led me to believe that Kodak isn't making these CF cards themselves.

http://www.compactflash.org/pr/960912a.HTM this was from 1996, and I think this one is current...http://www.digitallyunique.com/kpcf128scs.html?src=247

Thanks again for the information that you provided.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:35 PM   #4
Administrator

If I were you (wth a 7D), I'd buy another Sandisk Ultra II (or even better yet, an Extreme III, and use the Ultra II for backup).

Are you running the new firmware for the 7D? If not, it increases the speed of the camera dramatically.

It's a very fast camera writing to CompactFlash, and it will take advantage of a faster card.

I guess for backup only it doesn't make much difference if you can find one "on the cheap", and you're not shooting in a way that you're filling up the buffer in the camera.

Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:43 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

Here's a Compactflash speed database for the KM 7D (and now the new 5D) that you may find useful:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp

Make sure to update your results with any cards you buy so that other users know about what speed to expect, too.

Thanks, I plan on buying one of these cameras (KM 5D or 7D). :-)

BTW, here's a forum post I made with links to the new firmware (dramatic increase in write speed to CompactFlash), if you haven't installed it in your 7D:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:11 PM   #6
LT7

Thank You, I really appreciate all the help and information. I think my camera has the updated firmware, because there was a printed piece of paper mentioning the firmware update in the Box, when I received it. I'll have to double check on that when I get home. So far, whenever I've used it, it's been pretty fast. Haven't done much Flash photography though. Just used it a couple of times as a Fill-in, and it works great.

I'll let you know when I get more info. I was wondering, didI post this "thread" in the wrong forum? If so could you move it or let me know, so I will not do it again. Thanks again, and have a great day.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:19 PM   #7
Administrator

This is the right forum for questions about Memory Cards. Sometimes, for questions like that you'll get more informed answers about what works best in a specific model in the individual camera forums, though.

We also have a dedicated Konica-Minolta Digital SLR Forum you may want to visit.

With the launch of the new Konica-Minolta Maxxum (a.k.a. Dynax) 5D, we should have even more KM DSLR users.

Since KM was a little "late to the party" with their DSLR offerings, there are not a lot of posts there yet compared to the Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus DSLR Forums.

But, I think that we'll start to get more members with KM DSLR models as time passes. I know that KM plans on an initial production of 50,000 cameras per month with the new 5D (a huge increase over the 7D).

Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:14 PM   #8

Hi!

BTW...I just acquired the newer Fuji FinePix S6900 (European model, for S9000), and also acquired a Kodak xD 250 which the seller certify me that is made by Olympus!

Really I don't care who made it...if works well, and I'm 100% sure, that Kodak will indorse the most eminent quality for a product under Kodak brand...whatever if they made or not!

I'm wrong?

Cheers,

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote