Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:20 AM   #11

Sort of like the problems that Lexar had with the 80X 1GB only in the Canon 20D. That time it was definitely a Lexar problem and they issued a recall for updated firmware. Sounds like the Kingstons may have a compatabilty issue with the Konica's and that it could possibly be a Konica issue as you stated that firmware upgrades to the cameras pretty much solved it. Of course, if I knew there was a known issue; doesn''t matter who is at fault, I would sway to another brand.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:29 AM   #12
Administrator

Koenig wrote:
Quote:
Sort of like the problems that Lexar had with the 80X 1GB only in the Canon 20D. That time it was definitely a Lexar problem and they issued a recall for updated firmware. Sounds like the Kingstons may have a compatabilty issue with the Konica's and that it could possibly be a Konica issue as you stated that firmware upgrades to the cameras pretty much solved it. Of course, if I knew there was a known issue; doesn''t matter who is at fault, I would sway to another brand.
Unfortunately, changes seem to happen so frequently, that you can't even really be sure that a tested card will be OK. For example, if you look at Rob Galbraith's articles on CompactFlash, he goes into edge stamps, etc. (that sometimesallow you to determine the real manufacturer of the controller and memory cells used in a given CompactFlash card), and he points out that your results may be different, if you get a card with a different edge stamp. :-)

But, I see fewer and fewer problems anymore with card compability issues. So, I think that camera manufacturers and memory manufacturers are ironing out these kinds of issues over time.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:57 PM   #13

I do agree and am glad for it.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote