Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:22 PM   #1

This is hard to believe. A friend who is an experienced web developer and computer geek told us that SanDisk is going to install software on their cards which could erase image files from your own card. Something about copyright protection. Anyone know what the real story is???
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:22 PM   #2
Administrator

Sandisk just announced something called TrustedFlash that integrates DRM (Digital Rights Management) into the memory cards. InfoWorld and others are running stories on it now.

If you've been keeping up with this kind of thing, it looks like the Music and Movie Industries have been taking a lot of steps in recent years to keep you from copying their music and movies (or for that matter, even making a backup of what you bought for personal use).

Some of that is integrated into Digital Rights Management. Don't you hate it when a Media Player asks you if it's OK to check if you've got a legal copy of something you're listening to (for example, a music CD you're playing in the drive on your PC)?

I'm no expert on DRM, I just know that I don't likewhat I hear about it (and I'm not trying to steal any content from anywhere). But, I'm no expert on the pros and cons of DRM either.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:54 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Sandisk Press Release for TrustedFlash

I'm not sure this will have any impact on your Digital Images (it looks like it's geared towards allowing you to legally download music, etc., to one of these cards (and probably tomake sure you're paying for it and allowed to have it).

But, I do plan on doing some digging into the pros and cons of DRM.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:34 AM   #4

Indeed, it looks like it's for selling content:

"Music producers and movie studios will be able to release premium content on TrustedFlash products because it provides the superior security and digital rights management solutions that are required by these providers. Consumers will be able to download premium content from online digital music services through their mobile phone or PC. They'll also be able to purchase pre-recorded content on SanDisk's new grūvi™ cards, the first product to be released with TrustedFlash."

Note also that it's for SD cards only:

"TrustedFlash cards are available immediately to OEM customers in the miniSD ™, microSD ™ and SD ™ card formats, with maximum capacities of up to 2 gigabytes*. For consumers, TrustedFlash grūvi music cards with preloaded music content are expected to be available in the near future."

Unlike CompactFlash, all SD cards have DRM embedded in them. Perhaps only now, after they have become so well established, are the manufacturers actually making use of it. Do you ever get that feeling that you are being manipulated?
altis is offline   Reply With Quote