Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1

The Lexar guarantees that their card is the faster, but the transfer rate is only 12 mb/sec. The new Sandisk Extreme III boasts a speed of 20mb/sec. Does anyone have both? And is there a difference? I guess the question is: which one is faster? Or mo' bettah as they say in my hood. I do own one Lexar (80X) 2 gig card already, but I definitely need another, and was wondering which to go with, just would love to hear everyone's input. I know there are a lot of Sandisk haters out there (me not being one of them, have the extreme III cards and ultra II in SD and they work seamlessly!). Thank you all in advance. Nancy.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2
NHL

FYI - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7303

-> you won't be able to tell unless the tiny differences are measured with an instrument!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:06 AM   #3

Read the info, thanx NHL, you always come thru for me! I am still curious as to what everyone is using and if they are happy. I heard that Lexar was having problems and offering some software patch, or somethin'. Also, I constantly hear complaints from people about the Sandisk cards, although I never had a problem. I have the Lexar card and a Sandisk, and honestly, I keep interchanging them and I don't know which I like better.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:59 AM   #4
NHL

Nancy

Ditto here - most folks like to vent their frustration... and it's free here! :-)

I use Sandisk/Lexar (and even the microdrives which some folks don't even want to touch with a 10ft pole). They all work great and faster than I can ever shoot and have yet to see one fail on me

By design flashes are slow in write so both Lexar and Sandisk come up with 'tricks' in their design to speed thing up. Once in a while there's a hickup and Lexar got caught the latest with the Canon's implementation that's all, but if you go back in time long enough there's probably equal amount of firmware revs on either side. Bear in mind also that neither Lexar nor Sandisk makes their own flash but partnered with other chip vendors like Toshiba or Samsung for the actual manufacturings...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote