Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:15 PM   #1

I just received one of the new high speedTranscend 4GB SD cards and installed it in my Dimage Z3. It doesn't work, even though I've seen elsewhere that the 4GB Transcend SD cards are supposed to work in that camera.

Any Suggestions:?
alder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator

You'll need to have firmware version 1.03 for a 2GB card to work properly in it. But, it's not compatible with a 4GB card. Here is the link for the firmware upgrade to get it to support 2GB:

Firmware Version 1.03 for DiMAGE Z3

Cards larger than 2GB would not be supported by a 16 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table).

You *might* be ablebe able to partition the card with a card reader, removing the existing partion and allocating only 2GB to one partition for the camera, leaving the rest of the space unused.

But, you'll need to make sure thatyou format the 2GB partition specifying a file system type of FAT (Windows defaults to a 32 bit FAT which is probably not compatible with your camera).

It might be easier to try and sell it (or use it in something else), and just buy a 2GB Card for it. Most vendors won't take back a memory card after the shrink wrap has been opened (but, you could always try).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3

Jim: Thanks. I upgraded and found that it IS compatible with the 4GB card, much to my surprise. When set at 2272X1704 at standard quality, it predicts 3943 images, which means it sees the whole card (I hope).
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, I didn't know that. I stand corrected then. This is the second firmware update for this model related to card capacity. The earlier one gave it support up to 1GB Cards (the camera wouldn't format cards over 512mb). The last firmware upgrade added support up to 2GB (according to Konica-Minolta's documentation).

So, it looks like they would have said so if they added support for > 2GB (since that requires a different type of file system compared to cards 2GB or less).

Ihope it's not justa "fluke" and it's able to see it but not use it properly or something along those lines.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:32 PM   #5

These SD cards are brand new, and I guess the K-M support writershaven't gotten around to it yet. They're apparently not as prescient as their programmers.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Administrator

alder wrote:
Quote:
These SD cards are brand new, and I guess the K-M support writershaven't gotten around to it yet. They're apparently not as prescient as their programmers.
Camera manufacturers usually tell you if a camera supports a 32 bit FAT (since support for a 32 Bit FAT is needed for cards > 2GB). That way, users buying a camera will know in advance if future larger cards will work in it. Most cameras don't support anything other than a 16 bit FAT, and are limited to 2GB. But, that's changing more and more with new models.

But, this part (support for 32 bit FAT) may have been lost in the translation from Japanese to English for the firmware update comments. Perhaps the programmers told them >2GB, and it ended up in the firmware updatecomments as being support for 2GB (without the greater than). :-)

The update comments simply state "use of 2GB SD Memory card."