Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:46 AM   #1

I`m planning to buy this memory card and i`m wondering is it any good,
It says, Kingmax SD Platinum "Max 60x". Is it fast enough for Canon IS S2 snapshoot and video abuse? What exactly does 60x means?
Diab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:01 AM   #2

I have two of these sd cards for my FZ20 and they work great. By this I mean that there are never any errors, or missing files (I get this sometimes with my Sandisk cards, and I have a 256mb Panasonic card- the older ones and it loses pictures). I get confused with the 60x and the transfer rate. I believe it is a very fast card, but I do know for a fact that the fastest card out there is the Sandisk but the question is: how fast does the Canon write to the card? You could also find out the return policy (I only have found the cards @ newegg.com - which are great btw, I got my card 1.5 days after I ordered it online) and if you can return the card, or even exchange it, try it out. But it is a steal for $58.84. The lexar sd card is $87 and it is only 40x. The Kingmax is the way to go. It also seems very durable. Hope this helps Diab (short for "el diablo"?)
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:07 AM   #3

Thanx, Nancy, I`ll chose this card, i have a three year warranty
Yes thats short for el diablo, a nickname from youth
Diab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:21 PM   #4
Administrator

Diab10 wrote:
Quote:
I`m planning to buy this memory card and i`m wondering is it any good,
It says, Kingmax SD Platinum "Max 60x". Is it fast enough for Canon IS S2 snapshoot and video abuse? What exactly does 60x means?
When you see 1x, 2x, etc., most of the time 1x=150kb/second.

So, a 60x card is approximately 9mb/second. But, these ratings are under optimum laboratory conditions, and you won't get that from a camera -- especially a non-DSLR model.

As for your S2 IS, I haven't seen anyone that's tried this card yet in this camera model. So, your guess is as good as anyones how well it will work. Sometimes you see some compatibility issues with cards that can make them very slow (even though supposedly slower cards may work fine in the same camera).

The S1 IS had problems with some cards prior to a firmware update Canon issued that corrected some compatibility problems -- with many users reporting problems using some of the Kingston (not Kingmax) cards for video.

Most reports I've seen for the Kingmax cards in other camera models are positive. So, chances are, it will work fine in the S2 IS, also.

But, if it doesn't, most vendors won't accept a memory card for return if the shrink wrap has been opened (check with your vendor to see what their policy is).

So, you'll probably need to contact Kingmax to see if they've got another one you can swap it with if you have any problems. Most manufacturershave different "generations" of the same cards, since they may change component suppliers frequently. Even though two cards may be the same brand/model, one generation can work and another may not. So, if you have a problem, they will probably replace it.

I think you'd probably be OK withthis one though. Again, most reports I've seen in other camera models are positive with them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote