Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 25, 2003, 2:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
How about $209.99 also free shipping! :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=103762
originally, I was going to go with eCOST.COM until you mentioned the issue with the PCMCIA adapter. the eCOST.COM model doesn't come with it.

people might want to try GOOGLEGEAR.COM. they're based in NEWARK, CA (SF BAY AREA). no...they don't have a walk-in/will-call area for customers). unfortunately, I still haven't figured out the difference between the 2 models they're offering. one of them has a travel kit...I'm clueless as to whatever that is) ($210). any clues? :? :? http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=100441

the other comes with a PCMCIA adapter ($207).
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...ode=712501-017
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:25 PM   #22

pixrus,

A quick google search on HITACHI's product number (07N5605) for the first one shows a better descritpion at digitalfotoclub.com. They clame it comes with a PCMCIA adapter... the picture makes it look like its the retail box.

Ahh. A search on the other product number shows up as a "White Box Travel Kit". That means it's the same product but it isn't the retail box with all the extras. This usually means it comes with the minimum amount of stuff. No manual, for example. I'm a little surprised the white box comes with the PCMCIA adapter.

I'd do more searching on the product codes and see if you can't find a better description somewhere else. Personally, it sounds like the 3 bucks would be worth it.

eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:35 PM   #23
NHL

A Travel Kit according to IBM:
Quote:
A Travel Kit for the IBM 1 GB, 512 MB, and 340 MB Microdrive including Microdrive, PC Card adapter, and field case.
http://ssddom01.hgst.com/tech/techli...le/dscm_ds.pdf

It looks like they are identical except one has the IBM artwork, the other is a "white boxed" version... $207-$210 with a PCMCIA adapter is really cheap. Buy both and let us know! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
A Travel Kit according to IBM:
Quote:
A Travel Kit for the IBM 1 GB, 512 MB, and 340 MB Microdrive including Microdrive, PC Card adapter, and field case.
http://ssddom01.hgst.com/tech/techli...le/dscm_ds.pdf
ok....call me clueless. :? you're saying that the TRAVEL KIT has all the above, except the manual (?) and ERIC S says the $3 extra for the TRAVEL KIT would be worth it? :? :?

can't buy both...married with kids...only enough funds for 1 or the other.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 4:17 PM   #25
NHL

Then pay the extra $3 and be on the safe side... (the white box did say PCMCIA adapter was included though)
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Then pay the extra $3 and be on the safe side... (the white box did say PCMCIA adapter was included though)
yes...but it may/may not come with all of the following found in the $207 pkg.

Micro Drive
PCMCIA adaptor
Carry case
Installation guide
Installation drive

granted that they both come with the PCMCIA adapter. However, if the $210 pkg comes with all of the above and something extra for the $3, then it's worth it. However, if it comes with not everything listed above and something else, then it's not worth it.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 1:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
here's a pretty good price on the 1GB MD.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...147-001&DEPA=1

$214US free shipping
thnx Steve....
somehow I seemed to have missed your msg that was buried deep in the middle of all these msgs. by the way, NEWEGG.COM is now selling it for $205 now. OEM version looks promising. it has the microdrive, PCMCIA adapter, instructions, travel case, and a diskette (pic shows that it's for WIN95/WIN98. my only concern would be the disk. don't know if it's 100% representative of all their pkgs, just some of them, or that it varies with whatever OS you ask for.)

this of course now raises the sticky question of whether or not the units sold by GOOGLEGEAR.COM come with any software.

sighhhhh.....decisions....decisions. :?

what do you think NHL? is the matching OS disk important enough to warrant questioning a vendors pkg?
Old Feb 27, 2003, 1:30 PM   #28
NHL

All you need is the microdrive and the PCMCIA adapter! The drive comes pre-formatted with DOS and can be used right away (after I formatted again with my D7 it showed few less shots available). The case is kind of big compared to the one that is shipped with most other PCMCIA card... ops:

Any laptop will recognize the microdrive/PCMCIA adapter as an IDE device and will plug and play automatically. I don't recall ever using the instruction or the SW in the packages (or know where it's misplaced)... now that I have three!
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:19 PM   #29

My supplier in UK sold the bare drive in a box with a cheap pcmcia card adaptor which suits the drive without modification. No software needed - just plug and play! I didn't get a case for the adaptor though, and that is a bit fragile.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:51 PM   #30

you can just go to the ibm web site or now hitachi to get the reqd software. newegg has been straight up with all the goods i've gotten.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote