Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

OK, so I've decided on the purchasing the Canon Rebel XT. Now I'm looking for a reliable CF card in the 2-4GB range to use with the Rebel XT, shooting in RAW. I came across a Kingston Elite Pro 45x 4GB CF card, being sold through a very high rated customer satisfaction on-line store, and a well known name store at that. So, I don't think this store would be selling junk. However, I've never heard of "Kingston" and, even though every on-line store seems to be selling the Kingston CF crds,I haven't been able to find any customer reviews on the Kingston Elite Pro CF cards. A manager at a local camera store told me that, when it comes to CF memory cards, brand name doesn't really matter. Has anyone had any experience with the Kingston Elite Pro CF cards in general, or in use with the Rebel XT? Is the Kingston Elite Pro CF a reputable card, or should I be looking for a different brand name? And if so, what brand name is recommended for use with the Rebel XT? Thanks.

DV
The Damn Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2
Administrator

If you're going to shooting in conditions where buffer flush time is important, and want the fastest cards, I'd go with aSandisk Extreme III, Sandisk Ultra II orLexar Pro 80x with Write Accelerationin your model.

But, if you're not going to be shooting a lot of shots in a row where write speed is very important, there are many cards that are reasonably fast in this model.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:09 PM   #3

JimCmakes a valid point but something that can't be overlooked is the value in the Kingston cards. Kingston as far as im aware is still the single largest manufacture of ram memory moduals for computers on the planet and has had a great history of manufacturing excellent quality products. I know personally I have never had a failure or a flakey dimm from Kingston. I'm sure their flash memory cards are held to such standards as well.

I know I will be purchasing a Kingston Pro cards relatively soon simply because the extra speed of an 80x card (I have a 1gb Lexar 80x) doesn't justify the fact that locally it costs the same as a 2gb Kingston pro card.

Actually the 4gb Kingston card is a 45x card while the 2gb, 1gb, 512mb models are 50x cards
Quote:
Speed Rating*** — Up to 10MB/sec. read rate and up to 8MB/sec write rate
50X - all capacities except 4GB=45X
Quote above was taken from Kingston's website.
Quote:
EOS 350D produced an almost identical write performance as the EOS 20D, around 4.7 MB/sec for JPEG's and 5.6 MB/sec for RAW files (more than twice as fast as the EOS 300D).
Quote taken from a review..... so I think a 50x or 45x card might fit the bill for your camera just fine...

Now the question for me will be a 2gb card for $150ish cdn or a 4gb card for under $300cdn.:shock:
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:09 PM   #4
Administrator

Here are some tests for your Rebel XT. You'll need to decide if you need a faster card or not, takinghow you're shooting into consideration (number of photos in a row, speed required, jpeg or raw, buffer size, and buffer flush speed).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:35 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Here are some tests for your Rebel XT. You'll need to decide if you need a faster card or not, takinghow you're shooting into consideration (number of photos in a row, speed required, jpeg or raw, buffer size, and buffer flush speed).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699
I knew one site out there had actual head to head test data for various cards in various cameras but couldn't remember which one.... Thanks JimC..... site has been bookmarked!
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:06 AM   #6

DV

Kingston memory cards are good. I have a CF Pro 2 gig that I use in my Digital Rebel. It is faster thanmy Sandisk Ultra II card.

One advantage to their Pro cards is a lifetime warranty. They will stand behind this. I had a problem with mine when I got it, called them, they payed for shipping to and from them. I had a replacement in less than a week.

I will buy their Pro cards again. They are solid, fast and the company stands behind the product.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:25 AM   #7
Administrator

Speedie wrote:
Quote:
Kingston memory cards are good. I have a CF Pro 2 gig that I use in my Digital Rebel. It is faster thanmy Sandisk Ultra II card.
The Rebel is not the same camera as the Rebel XT. The Rebel XT has a dramatically faster interface to media.

With a very fast card like an Extreme III, the Rebel XT will write to media at over 6mb/second (more than 4 times as fast as the fastest cards tested in the Digital Rebel).

The Digital Rebel only writes at a bit over 1.3mb/second with the fastest cards in it (which is not much faster than the slowest cards in the XT).

The Kingston Pro Cards test very fast in the Rebel (see Rob Galbraith's tests for both cameras), but the Rebel isn't taking advantage of the fastest cards like the Rebel XT will.

It all depends on how he wants to use a camera, too. Some people may not need the fastest cards (because they're not shooting in a way that is filling up the camera's buffer).

Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:41 PM   #8

JimC

I have been well aware of that. But allow, the Ultra II was rated faster than the Kingston pro. Just with my use between the two, I noticed the Kingston was muchfaster.

I know the Rebel is a much slower writing camera than the XT. I was just stating my observations of the card with my camera. I noticed that no one that owns these cards would answer him, so I did to give him some perspective of how they are.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:31 AM   #9

How about the PQI 1GB 100x cards? Anyone had a chance to try them out?

http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?o...&PROID=118

They are even offered in 4GB as i noticed now on their webpage..

Also found this diagram

Scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:59 PM   #10

Kingston CFs have compatibility problems with some cameras (e.g., Kodak slrn). See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6453-6837for details. They, however, work fine in my Nikon D70.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote