Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 2, 2002, 8:30 AM   #1

Default Smartmedia Card Format for 3030Z

What is the formatting of the Smartmedia card so my Olympus 3030Z can use it.

I can format it in

FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32

with cluster sizes of

0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 ,16 or 32KB

There is also an option to "Backup FAT" which may or may not be taken.

I messed up the formatting on my PDA and don't know what the start settings were.

MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:49 PM   #2

Hi Mark.

I have a C-3020 and I just use the camera to format the smart media card to the standards it requires.

The card option in the menu area will offer you this formatting option.

Hope this helps.

Jason

[Edited on 7-4-2002 by Jason]
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 9:11 AM   #3

Thanks Jason

When i tried that it came back with card error

I have since been on to Olympus by phone who claim that there is nothing I can do to it, the card is now kaput.

Let this be a lesson to all.

Ah well I can still use it in my PDA !

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 11:28 AM   #4

Hi Mark,

I would keep asking, as somebody with more technical experience than me might have some special tips in this matter. Maybe in the Oly section or ...

You might want to do a search at dpreview.com for more info or post there as there are tons of threads of all sorts there and lots of Oly users.

If it works in one device, I'd bet there's a way to make it work in your oly again.

Have your tried to reformat the card in the camera multiple times? Sometimes with my camera I'll get the error message once or twice and then it will work. Again, keep asking and searching.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck,

Jason
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 8:45 AM   #5

Default Formatting SmartMedia cards

I use an Olympus C-2100 Z comera that was showing "card error' when I tried formatting.
I have just bought an OmniFlash card reader that ships with software for reformatting cards to factory default. After formatting my cards with this software in my computer, my camera recognized the card and did a camera format and now they work.
The software may be available from their site. It was not listed on the drivers CD that came with the reader but was loaded with these drivers and found in viewing in Explorer.
Good luck.
Bob Unsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:58 AM   #6

If everyone will look at little white book that comes with Olympus cameras. It will tell you only to format these cards in camera. I put out a post on this a couple of weeks ago. You may not be able to use in camera now. You might try and see if you can run fdisk from card reader. Olmypus says once you format in reader for data cannot be used. might also try fat 16. Alot of great stuff in the "little white book"
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote