Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:10 AM   #1

Please can anyone help - i have a sony cyber-shot-u and whilst 'playing around' with it a few moments a go i went on to the menu and somehow clicked 'ok' to format my pictures. I dont know what this means, it said that it was 'formatting' for a few seconds and now i cant find any of my pictures. Please can someone help me???
nixz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:42 AM   #2

nixz wrote:
Quote:
Please can anyone help - i have a sony cyber-shot-u and whilst 'playing around' with it a few moments a go i went on to the menu and somehow clicked 'ok' to format my pictures. I dont know what this means, it said that it was 'formatting' for a few seconds and now i cant find any of my pictures. Please can someone help me???
You have just deleted your images from the memory card.

nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:03 AM   #3
Administrator

Don't panic (and don't try to do anything that's going to write to the card like trying to take more photos or running a utility not specifically designed to recover images). You'll risk losing them if you try anything that writes to the card. It's best to use a utility that is only reading from it, writing the recovered images to your PC'shard disk

Most models are only overwriting the File Allocation Table with a format, versus overwriting the images themselves.

Try Digital Image Recovery (it's free). You can download it using this link:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

If you have a card reader, that's best. If not, see if your camera is being recognized under "My Computer". If so, make note of the drive letter for it and run the Digital Image Recovery Program.

You then select English as the languge (when it starts it will ask), andselectthe source drive letter your want it to read from (the drive letter for your card).

You then browse for a folder for it to copy recovered images to on your hard disk drive and press the start button (just leave everything else at the defaults).

It's simple to use.

Here is another product designed to recover images if Digital Image Recovery can't get them back for you (not free, but they have a demo version you can try to see if it works).

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Let us knowif you run into something you don't understand, and let us know how you make out getting them back.

If these two utilities can't find the images, there are more that may be worth a try, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:13 AM   #4
Administrator

Moderator Note:

The original poster started two separate threads on this issue. So, I have merged them together into one thread now.

I am also moving this thread to the Memory Cards, Microdrives, and Cards Readers Forum (since this is a common topic for that forum).

Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5

Jim C,
I have to tell you what a great job you do for this website. You answer questions from amatures to hobbyists, wording each one in a way they will understand. This takes time and patience. Your posts are very informative and educational, and I look forward to your responses.

Didn't want a good job to go unnoticed. Keep up the good work.

Daily reader,

Ed
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:50 PM   #6
Administrator

Thanks. But, I really don't do that much, and it keeps me occupied.

Most of the time, I can reuse what I've already written about topics that come up frequently that I do respond to (and I don't take time to read all of the threads).

You'll find lots of other forum members here that do the same thing (try to answer questions that they may know some answers to). I certainly have a lot to learn in many areas.

There are a lot of very good people here that know a lot more about photography than I do, and you'll see themresponding to member questions, too. We are all still learning (never ending process), and I learn a lot from reading posts from others here.

I enjoy spending time here, as we have a good group of forum members sharing their experience and opinions. Of course, anyopinion you see here is likely to biased, including mine. ;-)