Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1

Hi, I have a Samsung Digimax V700 with a kingston 128 mb SD card. It has been working fine til recently, I have got a card reader built into my PC and this is what i was using to transfer the images from camera to PC. As I say, it was working fine. I have just put it in and it says

"I:/The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Naturally i am annoyed. I tried installing the software that came with the camera and using the USB instead. It doesn't work.

So then, I created a new file on the memory card and put the file with the images in into it. It sitlll wont open and now i cant move it back, or see the images on my camera (which i could beofre)

PLEASE help.
sensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:34 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
So then, I created a new file on the memory card and put the file with the images in into it. It sitlll wont open and now i cant move it back, or see the images on my camera (which i could beofre)
[/quote]

You should never write to a corrupted memory card ("created a new file....") since you'll risk overwriting data on it before you can read it with something.

Anyway, try reading it withDigital Image Recovery (it's free). You can download it using this link:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Images (plural)will be more than just one file (you said you "put the file with the images in it into it". Do you mean a folder containing the image files?

Anyway, don't do anything else that's writing to the card or you'll risk ruining the existing image files if something in the FAT is corrupted and you overwrite them (if you haven't already overwritten the good files that may have been on the cardwith corrupted data from a folder you copied that had errors)..

Look under "My Computer" and make note ofthe drive letter for the reader you've got (or camera if you want to connect it via USB). Then,run the Digital Image Recovery Program.

You then select English as the languge (when it starts it will ask), andselectthe source drive letter your want it to read from (the drive letter for your card).

You then browse for a folder for it to copy recovered images to on your hard disk drive and press the start button (just leave everything else at the defaults).

It's simple to use.

Here is another product designed to recover images if Digital Image Recovery can't get them back for you (not free, but they have a demo version you can try to see if it works).

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Let us knowif you run into something you don't understand, and let us know how you make out getting them back.

If these two utilities can't find the images, there are more that may be worth a try, too.

After you recover your images, make sure to reformat the card in the camera (using the camera's menu choice for this, not your PC) before using it again. Make sure any images you recover are viewablewith an editor before you do that (and not just the thumbnails).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

Try reformatting the card using your camera. There should be a menu option to reformat it.

I doubt the card is permanently corrupted.

128mb card is pretty small. Give it the punt and upgrade to a 256mb or 512 mb card.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4

Thank you so much, I managed to get most of the pictures back. I can't thank you enough!

I think the problem may be these scratches which I have only just noticed (see pic)

I bought a 512mb SD card today and it works fine, also bought a tripod.

thanks again.
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Administrator

No problem. Did the free Digital Image Recovery work, or did you need to use something else?

As for the card, it's probably fine. If you format it using your camera menu choice for this (not your PC), it should recreate the FAT (it was probably only corrupted).

These cards are pretty tough, and would usually fail due to an electrical problem not related to any scratches, etc.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:45 PM   #6

Yes the first link you gave me to download worked. Thanks again, I have reformatted the card with my camera, works fine.

you guys are brilliant.