Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1

In trying to decide which CF card to get (speedwise), how do I go about figuring what's overkill? Is there a top speed associated with a camera, say Canon's Digital Rebel XT that makes purchasing a CF card with a transfer read/write rate over, say 9MB/sec a waste of money? Where/how can I get this information to match speeds? Thanks.
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2

This should help:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:22 PM   #3

Thanks....In looking at the information listed for the SanDisk Ultra II write speed and comparing it to the table from your URL above, it would seem unnecessary to buy the Ultra II then?? Am I reading this correctly that the camera is only writing at between 5 and 6 MB/sec even though the CF card itself is capable of 9MB/sec?? Should I just go with the cheaper CF from SanDisk instead then?

From BHPhoto's website:
"This SanDisk 1 Gigabyte Ultra II CompactFlash card has a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB) per second and a read speed of 10 MB per second."

SanDisk Extreme 1GB
(Edge stamp: BB0307VZ CHINA)
[align=center]SanDisk[/align] [align=center]I[/align] [align=center]2005/3/28[/align] [align=center]4.854MB/sec[/align] [align=center]5.821MB/sec[/align] SanDisk Ultra II 1GB
(Edge stamp: BB0306VZ CHINA)
[align=center]SanDisk[/align] [align=center]I[/align] [align=center] [align=center] [align=center] [align=center]2005/3/28[/align][/align][/align][/align] [align=center]4.854MB/sec[/align] [align=center]5.787MB/sec[/align]
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4
E.T

While camera might not be able to use card's maximum speed you can use it while emptying card to PC. Especially with big capasity cards time difference becomes noticeable.

Fast CF card also works very well as "big capacity floppy", with pocket size reader you can use it as easily as considerably more expensive (at least here in Finland) USB-memories.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote