Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1

I plan on buying a canon a610. The question is do i need a fast SD card or a standard one will not be a problem(slow down the camera). I searched the neat but i couldn't find any info on the canon a610 write speed. Also does the a610 have any issues with some brands of SD cards.
Thanks
vlatkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:29 AM   #2

I'd also be interested in opinions on this.

I'm planning to get a Canon A610 for chrsitmas, with one of the draws over the A520 being its supposed faster speeds.

Would a less expensive, slower card noticeably limit this camera?
krakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3

This is exactly what I'd like to know also.

Canon online support could not answer this question.

How can I contact Steve's DigiCams and see what they have to say?

I note that they used the San DIsk Ultra II for some or all of their review of the A610.

I did not find a stated reason for the use of that particular SD card which is 'faster' than the standard - whatever that is. At present I have no variety of memory cards and so can not do the testing myself.
jimgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:19 PM   #4
Administrator

Given the relatively small difference between the price of slow and fast SD cards I always opt for the faster ones regardless of the camera it is being used in. It may not speed up the camera's performance but it eliminates any problems when using the high quality 30fps movie mode and it always makes the camera to computer transfers faster. And it most definitely speeds things up when you use a USB 2.0 card reader. But ultimately it is your call.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 4:29 PM   #5

I bought the A-DATA Turbo 150x 2GB SD card for use with my new A620. So far, I love it. It writes amazingly fast.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:30 PM   #6

If nothing else, with high read and write speeds; using a card reader, the files will transfer faster to/from your computer. I agree, it's better to buy a faster one for the $10 more.
-Will
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote