Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

My camera (A620) can read and write to the card no problem. I have two different PCMCIA adapters and two 1GB SD cards.

Windows says 'The disk in drive E is not formatted'. If I try to format it (quick or normal) it fails. (I have successfully formatted it inside the A620 though)

I have tried Partion Master, Image Recovery Tool, installing RealOne, downloading all windows updates, etc.

I have this problem on my wife's laptop with a native pcmcia slot, and on my desktop running a SCSI to PCMCIA device.

I would like to avoid using cables to the camera.

These devices worked perfectly with a CF adapter reading my old CF cards.

Thanks

Chris

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2

I got both cards to read on another's USB setup. I noticed the 'name brand' PCMCIA adapters I thought I was buying are actually generic chinese replacements.

I ordered another set from buy.com of the real deal (difference in price was $2 each)....

hopefully this solves the problem.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:05 AM   #3

Are your SD cards the newer, high speed cards?? If so, if your reader is a little older (I'm guessing it is...I haven't seen a SCSI device in a while) it may not be compatible with with your newer cards. I have this issue with my Epson printer with a built in reader. The device is not compatible with the higher speed cards.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:11 PM   #4

My SCSI device is the same as Steve here has reviewed...it is a little older, but the PCMCIA'Adapter should be what's at fault there. I have at least 80MB/s I can hancle on the bus.

Oddly my wife's laptop failed reading these cards too. I have some new laptops (Dell Latiitude) at the office I may try this one.

Thanks

Chris
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5

Is there an update available for PCMCIA cards to read Hi-speed SD?

The laptop at work is fine with the card. I really don't want to go to USB...

Thanks

Chris
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:44 PM   #6

Have you checked microtech support??? I don't know if this is something that can be fixed via a firmware update. You're best bet is probably a card reader. They are inexpensive and easy to use...just make sure it can read at you're cards rated speed, which shouldn't be an issue if it is a newer model.

Why the reluctance to use a USB cable??
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:14 PM   #7

i have a call into SCM, they have a new SCSI device that's a pure card reader (PCD-60B for $399).

Iwould like to avoid USB because extra cables and slower performance...however, I may have to replace my 3.5 SCSI reader with a USB one. I have one USB header left on my motherboard. My wife will have to get a new laptop to avoid having to use a desktop reader.

She is looking to upgrade to a i/Powerbook after christmas, her current VAIO is a japanese version and is just a PIII 933.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:40 AM   #8

You could always upgrade with by adding a USB2 bus card and a card reader for alot less than $399. As long as the reader you buy can take advantage of usb2, performance should not be an issue. This wouldn't solve the cable issue but would certainly be more economical, at less than $100.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:27 PM   #9

I already have USB2 in my rig. My wife's laptop is not.