Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

I don't want to really use a USB card reader or connect to the camera directly. I use PCMCIA adapters to house my CF cards and they work fine (even on ULTRA II Sandisk)...however my new SD cards do not work on either my SCSI reader (http://www.steves-digicams.com/microtech_dpai_scsi.html) or my wife's laptop.

Is there an update or is this total hardware incompatibilities?

Chris

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Administrator

Chris:

For some odd reason, it's not uncommon for readers to have problems with larger SD cards (size seems to be the main issue you see with them, versus brand/speed, even though you wouldn't expect to see an issue until they passed the 2GB limit for FAT16 based file systems).

Your best bet is probably to contact the manufacturer of your wife's laptop to see if there is some kind of firmware update available for it.

As for your SCSI reader, Mirotech was acquired by SCM Microsystems a while back. Here is their contact info if you want to try and contact them about update. But, you may just want to consider getting a newer model PCMCIA based reader for the laptop if you have a spare slot, and a USB based reader for the desktop (they're pretty inexpensive now).

In the US:
E-mail: [email protected]
In Europe:
In Asia:
In Japan:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks, SCM won't support the older drive, they referred me to another company (they only deal directly with vendors) to purchase the PCD-60B...at $399 I am passing.

I am going to replace the 3.5" PCMCIA reader with an internal USB 2.0 drive and be done with it.

For my wife's machine, I am not sure why the other card didn't work, but I picked up a retail Dazzle DM-9500 card and it works fine. On my PC it works fine with files under about 750K, but anything bigger it takes forever and I get 'Not Ready' errors in Event Manager. Oh well. The Microtech Reader I had lasted a long time and I am sure ebay will bring me something for it.

Thanks again...

Chris

Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:52 PM   #4

bought a sabrent 42 in 1 reader. $20 works extremely fast.

Pros: suports xD which I don't use but don't want to buy another reader for a while

Cons: Comes finished with an external USB connector and an external to motherboard header (5 pin or 4 pin only needed). However they are both a little short (about 3-4 more inches would be enough to make it work ok in my full tower). I bought a $2 6 foot USB extension cable.

There is a Transcend that has a good lengh internal cable, but doesn't read xD at the same price.

Thanks for those that helped.