Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

I live in canada and in winters we are usually -10 or so. I want a card that will still operate in these conditions. Obviously the sandisk extreme III will, but it is much more expensive then the ultra II. Will the ultra be as reliable? and will i see a difference in speed with these cards on the d50?

Thanks
Dan
mattisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:49 PM   #2

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the ultra 2 will be ok. SD cards have no moving parts and should not be affected by cold. I would be more concerned with having extra batteries and condensation forming on the lens elements after coming in from the cold.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:22 AM   #3

Hi!

Instead buying expensive CF card, look forward for a Kingston Elite Pro series, cheap & "Lifetime" warranty! I own two of these, and with my Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5 d body...works super well!

Cheers,

ALEX 007 :|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:34 AM   #4
Administrator

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

Instead buying expensive CF card, look forward for a Kingston Elite Pro series, cheap & "Lifetime" warranty! I own two of these, and with my Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5 d body...works super well!
This is one of the slower cards around in the Maxxum/Dynax 5D (a Sandisk Ultra II is about 8 times as fast) ;-)

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=5D

They also seem to be very slow in the KM Ax series cameras. The slow speed seems to be some kind of compatibility problem with the way KM is communicating with the cards.

In most other camera brands, they're not as slow. The Kingston Elite Pro cards did have some compatibility problems with the Canon S2 IS initially, too (but a firmware upgrade from Canon corrected the issues).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:37 AM   #5

My dear Jim C!

What...it's something new for me...!!!

Today, I'm using my Son's gifted Lexar Pro WA 40x; BTW...Made in USA), that he got from US a year & half ago...works well, however I noticed that after I download my photos to my "Picasa 2.1" photo organiser...using the supplied cable, instead my lovely "pricy" (Here in Israel...of course!), San-Disk universally 12 cards reader, Jim C...maybe I'm in a simple manner a "Mad"...photographer...dislike to play with the card each time that I need to downloaded to my computer, so hooking the cable connector make me feel better!!!, Ok; when I "Format" the card after each download session (As you wrote a few of times in others forums...if I remember well!), first goes 1/2 line...wait..., a second or two and finish the line...), if you recall what I'm writing...Now during this new week I will changed the cards, to check with my Kingston Elite pro...when I will format it...how respond the line...I will post you my results!

Also my dear Jm C...I'm not so sure that a faster card for my needs, is so imperative, when here such Ultra ll, cost me $:20.00 more...the Kingston gives me "Lifetime: warranty...the Ultra ll only one or 5 years...I'm not 100% sure...but sure NOT lifetime.

What you say..."GoodBye" Minolta...I'm so sad...reading this....as my first camera was a Minolta Autocord...when I was 12 years old...today I'm 62 & half....remain loyal to Minolta...Now if something will happen or will go bad to our 5D...who will repair it???

OK...my dear Jim C...we can't remedy this!!! Pity!!!!

Have a nice weekend,

ALEX 007:|
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:04 PM   #6
Administrator

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
What you say..."GoodBye" Minolta...I'm so sad...reading this....as my first camera was a Minolta Autocord...when I was 12 years old...today I'm 62 & half....remain loyal to Minolta...Now if something will happen or will go bad to our 5D...who will repair it???
Sony
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:09 PM   #7

Thanks Jim C!

I hope that my camera, will not needed!!!

Cheers,

Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:51 AM   #8

Hi my dear Jim C!

I promise!

Ok; when I "Format" the card after each download session (As you wrote a few of times in others forums...if I remember well!), first goes 1/2 line...wait..., a second or two and finish the line...), if you recall what I'm writing...Now during this new week I will changed the cards, to check with my Kingston Elite pro...when I will format it...how respond the line...I will post you my results!

Now here are the results...!!!

With my today in use Lexar Pro "WA" 40x 256 mb; made in Usa, when I press the "OK" central bottom...first the "Green" line goes till half...waith exactly (I count...), 5 seconds and goes till the end...my Lexar card is formated.

With the Kingston Elite Pro 512 mb, made in Taiwan, same procedure...as with the Lexar one, the "Green" line also goes first till half...wait ONE second only...!!??, and complete the line, so; the Kingston card is formated.

Now really for my sole cognition...can you explicate me WHY...such formating time differences/deviations?

Thanks so much for your erudite response,

Regards,

Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:15 AM   #9
E.T

Best and only way for testing practical speed is shooting RAW and taking time how long writing/access light is on.
DSLRs have enough buffer memory so that slow card doesn't show up while taking shot once in a while.

Propably reason for slow speeds of Kingston with KM Ax (and Minolta 7-serie) is bus/memory controller in card...
CF cards practically use PCMCIA ATA interface and card itself contains controller chip which works between interface and actual memory unlike in other cards.
Some older standard orange colored Kingstons (made in Japan) actually have quite good speed.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15829683
(results with older firmware)

PS. -27°C (-17°F) is now starting to feel warm.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:50 AM   #10

Hi E.T!

I don't intend; to made any RAW...so what I get sastifies me!

Thank you so much...& please...be warm...there in Finland!

Cheers,

ALEX 007 :|