Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:30 PM   #11

Simple solution...you know that mail-in rebates are frauds, so don't buy anything that has a mail-in rebate. This will accomplish two very positive things...one, if you and everyone else refuse to purchase products with mail-in rebates, you would force the manufacturers to lower their prices in order to retain their market share, and two, we wouldn't have to listen to you whine anymore.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:18 PM   #12

We'll agree to disagree. I just don't think it is fair to flame an entire process based on one experience. Nearly everyone has had at least one bad experience with manufacturer, vendor, retailer, rebate etc. Things happen. Perhaps I'm just naive, but I believe the vast majority of companies are honest. As I said before, those who are just trying to get over on customers may profit, and even survive in the short term, but they will not be successful for very long. Rebates are a part of doing business. Retailers like them, manufacturers like them, and yes even customers (for the most part, based on research) like them. If you don't like rebates, then don't buy products that have rebates associated with them.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or be a pain in the *ss. I'm just trying to show the other side of the coin. Again, this is not an industry that was created to rip off customers. There are no experts in "rebate discouragement" or a panel that dream up ideas to make it impossible for folks to receive their rebate. If this were the case, do you really think this scheme would still exist?? Customers and retailers would have given up on this a long time ago. If someone could show me proof that these actual practices exist, I'll get off my soap box.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:45 AM   #13

The reasonfor rebates is simple - the vast majority of customers don't redeem them. They either can't be bothered to jump through a complex maze of hoops specifically designed to discourage and confuse, or they just forget.

Rebates are a fundamentally dishonest marketing 'tool'. Most people will pay the full price while sellers benefit from advertising a 'low' price that only the most determined of customers will ever see, and even then the rebate center frequently holds your money for months. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure out who gets the best of that deal. When I buy, I insist on the advertised price on the spot, or I tell them I'll shop elsewhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...tes/index.html
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:47 AM   #14

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Simple solution...you know that mail-in rebates are frauds, so don't buy anything that has a mail-in rebate. This will accomplish two very positive things...one, if you and everyone else refuse to purchase products with mail-in rebates, you would force the manufacturers to lower their prices in order to retain their market share, and two, we wouldn't have to listen to you whine anymore.

the Hun

That's like saying if you don't like war, then don't kill anybody - then if everybody agreed to stop killing anybody, we wouldn't have any more wars. Makes as much sense as what you said - because - guess what -neither is going to happen regardless of what I personally do.

Sorry if you interpret relating facts as whining. By the same token, if you don't like my "whining", then don't read my posts. What's the difference in your "whining" about my "whining" and my "whining"?
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:49 AM   #15

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
We'll agree to disagree. I just don't think it is fair to flame an entire process based on one experience.
I can agree on that. I think most people who have done multiple rebates will have more than just one bad experience. I just related the one. Thanks for you comments.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:48 PM   #16

Peeva,

The difference is................I know when to quit.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:59 PM   #17

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Peeva,

The difference is................I know when to quit.

the Hun

Well isn't that special. So, you present flawed logic and then you quit. Whatever.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:31 AM   #18

:PThe longer a manufacturer procrastinates in sending out rebates their moneys continues to draw interest. Be sure to make copies of all receipts making note of important phone #s. I like Best Buy's program of giving you several copies of your receipt when a rebate is involved. I have had some rebates taking at least 6 mos to be released. How about the Microsoft class action law suit? Have you been reimbursed yet? I have called several times getting the same story. "We are working on the check disursements and it is going to take time"
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:44 PM   #19

Kanon wrote:
Quote:
:PThe longer a manufacturer procrastinates in sending out rebates their moneys continues to draw interest. Be sure to make copies of all receipts making note of important phone #s. I like Best Buy's program of giving you several copies of your receipt when a rebate is involved. I have had some rebates taking at least 6 mos to be released. How about the Microsoft class action law suit? Have you been reimbursed yet? I have called several times getting the same story. "We are working on the check disursements and it is going to take time"
Apparently Best Buy cleaned up their act with rebates when they got into huge trouble with the scams they were running a few years ago. I remember hearing on radio and TV when they got busted for signing people up for ISP contracts without informing the consumer when they submitted rebate coupons on computer purchases (for some reason, people **whined** about being ripped off like that - bunch of crybabies!).:-)

A quick Google search also turned these up: http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Buy...bate_Scam.html

http://www.slate.com/id/2084210/

I purcahsed an HP computer thru Best Buy a year ago, and it does seem like they went out of their way to document the purchase properly for the rebate. The rebate went smoothly. At least they seem to have learned their lesson.