Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:36 AM   #11

blown-z wrote:
Quote:
I'm the ebay seller "blown-z". I figured I would step in and let people know the truth about my products. Here is a picture of what my SanDisk Ultra 2G SD cards really look like
Well, just coming here and posting that... it's probably a joke at comatose, I wouldn't pay him attention.

As emes said,probably contacting Sandisk would be a good idea (even if they don't offer you a new card)

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:06 PM   #12

i see nothing wrong with the auction

it doent mis lead claiming its a genuine sandisk memory card. just looks like a cheap one to me, if anything i wouldnt buy the item because of the cost of postage and insurance

i hate the hyped up post costs.....to post a memory card in the uk it could be shipped in a jiffy bag with a first class stamp and sent recorded for £1 about $1.75

insurance and post $20.........!!!! thats the joke

its just a reseller trying to make a buck
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:23 PM   #13
Administrator

Comatose wrote:
Quote:
What the HECK is this? and who makes this? :?
Actually, there is a very good chance that it's using the same components as a Sandisk Card. Sandisk is a large OEM supplier of flash memory products.

At one time, Sandisk, Toshiba and Panasonic were the only "real" manufacturers of Secure Digital media. They jointly developed Secure Digital and other manuacturers (Kingston, Kingsmax, Lexar, PNY, etc.) were just using rebranded components from the "Big 3".

Now, there are more manufacturers, but Sandisk probably still supplies a lot of them with components.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:21 AM   #14

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:

it doent mis lead claiming its a genuine sandisk memory card. just looks like a cheap one to me, if anything i wouldnt buy the item because of the cost of postage and insurance

i hate the hyped up post costs.....to post a memory card in the uk it could be shipped in a jiffy bag with a first class stamp and sent recorded for £1 about $1.75

Actually, if you look at the information to the left of the SD card, you will notice that he IS implying it is a Sandisk Card:

An erasure-prevention switch to keep your data safe! When the switch is in the locked position it will stop you from accidentally copying over or deleting data stored on your card. Now you know your data will be safe with SanDisk.
wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:09 AM   #15

yeah but he doesnt list it as a genuinesandisk card its listed as

Brand New 2GB Secure Digital Memory Card

i do not know the bloke and am not sticking up for him but if by that u assume its a genuine 2 gig sandisk card u are mistaken

sandisk make them for other companies, i bought a genuine 1 gig one today for a playstation portable and chose the genuine one because i figured a saving of £5 on non genuine wasnt worth it.
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:35 AM   #16

Ok, now I don't get it... is it a fake one or not????

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Administrator

José A. wrote:
Quote:
It looks fake to me. But, that doesn't mean the components used are not the same. ;-)

They might be (or might not be), since Sandisk is a large OEM supplier of flash memory products to other manufacturers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:43 PM   #18

I'd ratherpay just a bit more and buy from a legit company like Calumet http://www.calumetphoto.com

I noticed their sale prices and find them to be very reasonable.

A 2gb SD UltraII is $96

But for those Cf users, the savings is VERY nice (at least as of Feb-04-06)

SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash Card 4GB $220
SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash Card 2GB $110
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:27 AM   #19

I don't understand why you think it's fake. Fake compared to what? It's "No Name" - how can it be fake?
It's obviously not a Sandisk card just looking at the read and write specs.
But the seller doesn't claim it to be a Sandisk card either (the one comment in the description mentioning SanDisk is just a cut and paste that wasn't edited properly - I see that on ebay all the time).

JimC wrote:
Quote:
José A. wrote:
Quote:
It looks fake to me. But, that doesn't mean the components used are not the same. ;-)

They might be (or might not be), since Sandisk is a large OEM supplier of flash memory products to other manufacturers.
Eurolgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:30 PM   #20

I never Buy memory cards on the internet:
I have five memory cards that work, you know how many memory cards I had to buy/return before i got five that worked, TEN!!!
As a matter of fact I've never actually bought a memory card that's worked, just got a replacment for one that didnt work!
lucklily All i had to do was bring the card and my camera to the store and show them that it was not working and they replaced it, but If i had bought it online, I would of probably never gotten a replacement for the card.
keybowvio is offline   Reply With Quote