Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

I'm trying out my new Canon A610 and the video is very jerky at 640x480 30fps. I'm using a 1GB Transend 80X card. The write speed isn't 80x though. Seems to be around 7MB a second timed by dropping a 150MB file onto it.

Sandra on the 2MB test only gives it about 2.8MB a second...

If you think it's the card, can you recommend a better one? I usually shop NewEgg. Maybe a Patriot Extreme card that is supposed to be 133x read, 100x write?

Thanks for any input.. - Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2

I would suspect several things before I blame the card speed. First of all, how are you viewing the video...on the camera or on a computer? If on a computer, did you save the video to the HD before playing it back? What software are you using to view the video? What is the video of? Were you panning to follow a moving subject, or was the camera stationary? Was the lighting adequate for good exposure? How is the sound quality...is that jerky also?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:20 PM   #3

You were right! When I play it from the card it's jerky, when put on the PC's hard drive and played it's fine. I'd never have guessed it since the card is supposed to read much faster than it writes. The video properties say it's data rate is 1837kbps. Oh well, as long as I can record smooth videos. Now I have to see how playing them out of the camera straight to the TV works.

I still think my old Pentax ME Super is better to just take a picture with, but this thing is a whole lot of fun to play with.. - Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote