Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:38 PM   #1

I have a a610 and a PNY 1gb sd card.They both work fine. Today i put the SD card in a card reader at my friends house and transfered a 800MB divx movie on it. After 1 hour i took the card reader with me home and put the card in it. Windows asked me if i want to format the card.It couldn't be read. I put the card in the camera and it says memory card eror. I did a quick format and the card works fine but i lost my divx movie. What could be the reason for this. Thx!
vlatkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:50 AM   #2

There are lots of growing pains with SD card sizes and readers. Many readers just won't read a large card. Some readers eat them. One thing that helps in many cases is formating the card on your PC as a plain FAT drive. FAT file system is plain and simple, most devices can use it without problems. In Windoze XP you would click Start, Run, then type CMD. At the DOS prompt type:

FORMAT H: /V:MYFLASH /FS:FAT /X

H: is the letter your computer gives the card, and MYFLASH is the name you want to call your card (volume label)

I hope this helps someone. - Joe

JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Whyt do you mean by "Some readers eat them"
vlatkovr is offline   Reply With Quote