Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:46 AM   #1

Hello!
I wil buy the Canon EOS 350D and it support Compact Flash card and Microdrive.

What should I buy?

I've also seen two different Kingston CF 1 GB: reading speed is the same but writing speed is different: 1,5 mb/s VS 5,2 mb/s. The price is considerably higher on the last one, of course. Will I notice the difference that much?

Thanks a lot,

Deiota
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2
E.T

Microdrive is small hardrive in CF type II package and it contains moving parts so naturally it's much more fragile.
Also Microdrives are much slower than current fast solid state CFs.
And especially now after prices of fast CFs have dropped (Sandisk Extreme III dropped 1/3rd) I don't see much reason to go for Microdrives.

Writing speed is what matters when you're taking lot of photos at fast speed.
Those speeds hint to Kingston's basic models and considering what camera is capable I would suggest looking toward faster cards.

Unless you've decided from where you're going to buy those I would suggest doing some research here:
http://www.geizhals.at/eu/
http://www.geizhals.at/eu/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:26 PM   #3

CF memory cards (solid state) are more rugged and faster. That's a given.

However, the newer Microdrives are probably not as fragile and slow and people make them out to be. The MD cards have gotten faster and more rugged from the original days when IBM made them. Alot of bad experiences with the original Microdrives really gave them a bad name.

Check out: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp
for some of the latest speed tests on a variety of memory cards (CF, MD and SD)

Interestingly the MD (in particular the 6GB version) beats out some of the CF memory cards.

Yes, the price of memory cards have come down but MD still offers the most capacity for the money. Right now Amazon is sell the Seagate 8GB Microdrive for $156 AR!

8GB is probably way overkill for many people but for those who shoot RAW+JPEG it can really come in handy.

If a 8GB CF memory card (solid state) was even close to that price, I'd be all over it, but I doubt it's that cheap. I don't even think 4GB CF memory cards are that cheap.
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:42 PM   #4
NHL

I agree with x10guy

Check page 12 of: http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...100375652a.pdf

I have yet to see any of my microdrives go dead... :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:53 AM   #5

I also have a 350D, and have been using a 1GB Ultra II Card. I just got one of the new Sony CompactVault 5GB CF Microdrives, and so far I'm VERY pleased. It is fractionally slower then the solid state card, and at $180 delivered for 5GB, I may just have to buy another!

I shoot mainly Model & Sports, RAW only, and need the fastest I can afford. This fits the bill.

One quirk, The Sony card reads fine in all my card readers, but NOT thru the camera. If I plug the camera into my computer the card shows as empty, so I must eject the card and put it in a reader to get my pictures. and since the eject button on my camera poped out a few months ago (Still under warrenty, but who can give up their camera for 2 week to get it fixed???) it is a little bit of a pain.

DrRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:13 PM   #6

I had one of the original 350mb Microdrives die on me luckily without any of the files on it being irreplaceable it was a about 2 years old but hadn't been abused. Stick with solid state cards which beside being robust dont need extra battery power to spin them up.
Manstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:02 AM   #7

I have a Rio Carbon MP3 player. This contains a 5GB Seagate 'microdrive'. I once dropped it from my waist onto a concrete floor. It carried on playing just fine!
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:15 PM   #8

I had a Microdrive and it died after two years.

Stick with CF.

I use the cheapest Kingston card I can find, currently a 2GB.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:24 AM   #9
NHL

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I had a Microdrive and it died after two years.

Stick with CF.
Terry

Microdrives have come a long way since your first IBM 170/340MB devices. Currently in their 4th generation the microdrives are hard to beat in term of convenience, cost/MB, and reliability - Not everyone needs them but for thoses who do they are a godsend!

Like many, I already have lot of multi-Gigs CF cards, but still go out and buy microdrives because they fit my needs: You can easily fill entire microdrives in a studio shoot or when vacationing - Sooner or later the images will end up on a hardisk somewhere so why not ones that are designed to take the abuse of portable applications...
My 2nd generation IBM 512/1G's have served me well over 4 years now and still performing

BTW it's also a myth that solid state would last forever - just check any flash data sheets for their finite write cycles... People just don't realize that there's a lot of error detection and wear leveling algorithm built-in to theses devices and sometime they do run amok, like loosing pictures (just check the postings)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote