Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:18 PM   #11
NHL

Actually the technology is very affordable: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030109/90405_1.html
Quote:
The Wi-Fi (802.11b) CF and SD Connect cards have a suggested retail price of $99.95. The dual-function CF cards with 128MB of capacity will be priced at $129.95 while the dual-function 256MB SD cards will be priced at $149.95. The CF Wi-Fi card is available now, the CF dual-function card and the SD Wi-Fi card will be available in March and the SD dual-function card is expected to ship at mid-year. The CF pricing includes a PC card adapter for notebook and laptop owners. SanDisk Connect cards will be sold in many of the 50,000 retail stores worldwide where SanDisk branded products are sold.
... However I don't think the bandwidth is there for real-time video yet... Still pictures are more bursty traffic and less demanding!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:53 PM   #12

Keep in mind who they want to sell these things to: it ain't digicam owners.
Memory that small in linear dimensions has no real advantage - we have to
carry a fairly large lens so there is a serious limit to how small the thing can
be. And since the way most folks use a camera, it has to be a fair amount
larger than just the lens to keep finger prints off the thing. Sub centimeter
memory size is no real advantage.

However - there are other devices where small memory is an advantage.
And I'd bet they outsell digicams. And I'd bet this isn't the end to the
smaller memory size.

Notched photons coming soon :-)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 6:32 AM   #13

Quote:
However I don't think the bandwidth is there for real-time video yet
In uk where ADSL rollout is S--L--O--W, there are some who have found wirless nets. handy to hook up their neighbourhood! Subscription TV services, relayed to pc's looks next. There won't be room for cams soon!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 11:59 AM   #14

NHL

How do you find the time to keep up on these things?!

This is very interesting. That is only half the story, though. Now I just need a hard disk or flash memory device with a good battery battery and larger RAM buffer to act as a storage device. Does anything like this exist? I assume they really want you to send it to a laptop, but that really seem impractical to me. I don't want to carry around a laptop while I hike. I just want to leave a storage device in my backpack (or pocket, if it was that small) and take pictures with reckless abandon.

Any other info?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 1:25 PM   #15
NHL

Quote:
How do you find the time to keep up on these things?
Let say it's part of my job... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
That is only half the story, though. Now I just need a hard disk or flash memory device with a good battery battery and larger RAM buffer to act as a storage device. Does anything like this exist? I assume they really want you to send it to a laptop, but that really seem impractical to me. I don't want to carry around a laptop while I hike.
... Not really most of thoses PDAs have a larger battery as an accessory that will last you all day, and with a 4-6G CF flash/microdrive that'll be plenty of portable storage as well, no laptop needed!!!

Now you can think of a next 3G phone with unlimited air-time (data not voice) attached to your PDA (or built-in Treo like) and you'll be all set for the hiking trail, unless of course you're roaming! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Mar 16, 2003, 2:05 PM   #16

NHL

Well, we all benefit from your keeping up on these things. Thanks for all your posts!

Ahh. That is an idea I hadn't considered.

Don't mind my rambling, I'm trying to think this through. You're suggesting that you get a WiFi enabled PDA with a large flash card. The PDA has lots of memory to act as a buffer (more ram that the camera has, probably) so it can do a better job buffering the picture than the camera can. So the flow is:

The camera broadcasts to the PDA, which has the smarts to receive the WiFi signal, "buffers and stores" to the flash card.

Once it's there, it's easy to get it into a computer. And a PDA is cheaper and smaller than a laptop. Pitty my old Pilot has only 8Mb of ram and no flash card port or wireless ability.

Or, as you say, I could sent it via a G3 enabled PDA/phone over the internet directly to my secured PC at home through a SSH tunnel. (tunnel'ing into my PC from a phone is a bit scary.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 2:18 PM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Or, as you say, I could sent it via a G3 enabled PDA/phone over the internet directly to my secured PC at home through a SSH tunnel. (tunnel'ing into my PC from a phone is a bit scary.)
... Well have you seen the latest satellite modem? It's about the size of a laptop where the flip up screen/lid is the actual antenna! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.hns.com/default.asp?Curre...t/inmarsat.htm
Check out the Thuraya phone as well... (Aghanistan anyone? 8) 8) 8) )
Old Mar 16, 2003, 4:22 PM   #18

More interesting threads!

Quote:
Now you can think of a next 3G phone
Perhaps you don't need that big Microdrive after all. Pics from the cam are 'beamed up' to your pc at home. I wonder though how the cost per shot would stack up against a Microdrive, for each 2-3 Mb pic file? Aren't these networks charging by the databyte? Since they are reckoning on puny lo res lcd pics in phones, I wonder what the networks would make of all these Forum folks relaying their 5Mpix cam pics home to their pc's, the photo server, or the processing lab. The RAW shooters would run up a big bill!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 5:39 PM   #19
NHL

Quote:
... The RAW shooters would run up a big bill!
... In the States we have unlimited nights and weekend minutes (or anytime cell to cell phones within the same plan!) :lol: :lol: :lol: Let just hope they include data rate as well for thoses next 3G's! 8)

Quote:
I wonder what the networks would make of all these Forum folks relaying their 5Mpix cam pics home to their pc's, the photo server, or the processing lab.
... Well they can always re-start the optical and ATM switching fabrics roll-out again and may be we can all emerge from this worldwide telecom meltdown! :P :P :P
Old Mar 18, 2003, 10:37 AM   #20
NHL

Vox

FYI http://yahoo.businessweek.com/techno...6843_tc106.htm
Quote:
Soon enough, people will come to expect Wi-Fi wherever they go. Keller predicts that it won't be long before hotel guests expect free Wi-Fi, just as they expect hair dryers, irons, even soap.