Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:32 PM   #21

NHL..... and Bill G. is counting on all products (not sure about soap?) having an IP address!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:12 PM   #22
NHL

Vox

Quote:
is counting on all products (not sure about soap?) having an IP address!
Can't be too sure about that, some refrigerators already have the IP address built-in !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/na...fRefrigerators
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:58 PM   #23

Thanks NHL for all this information.
may I ask you a loosely related question ?
here it is in case your answer is yes

I want to add wireless to my home network.
After selling a few machine I am down to a laptop ( without built in Wireless) I want mostly to use Internet (Cable) access.

Should I go for 802.11G ? (Linksys seems to have nice gear) or 802.11b enough ? I have a Cable/Router with Voice over IP.
Should I get a 802.11 access point or a wireless router ( they are the same price ) ?

I was thinking at one point about Bluetooth so I can use it with my palm and my phone ... but it will be too slow for internet access no ?
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:11 PM   #24
NHL

802.11b is enough for most application; However, for a small premium I would go for the 802.11G, not really for the 5x speed, but the accompanying degradation as the signal get weaker. I believe the G will give you the most bang for your buck not the least of which it's also compatible with the B! I have the 802.11b right now but if I am to buy again now I would go for the G... Eventually the 802.11b gears will become less prevalent, as folks migrate toward 802.11g, since the price difference is so small for such a better signal range and 802.11a type faster rate!

If you already have Cable/Router just get a wireless access point (beside most of the WAP also have router function already built-in) and a 802.11x PC card for your laptop. Battery powered devices generally will prefer Bluetooth, but for IP centric applications 802.11x is the way to go... 8) 8) 8)
Check into D-Link as well they seem to have really decent chipsets from TI! or Orinoco for PC cards since they usually have the best range...

Also: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~waa/wireless.html
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:57 AM   #25

Thanks Again NHL for answering all my questions.
Altough it is a great Camera, the only one in your list I would not feel comfortable using is the Maxxum 9i.
Agian thanks for your expertise. I will definitely check out Orinoco.
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:01 PM   #26

I would also agree with NHL's thoughts.

Both Linksys and D-Link make reasonable stuff.

Be careful, though. Last I knew (a few months ago) the 802.11g standard was not official. All the 802.11g products are jumping the gun with a near-final draft. They should/will offer firmware upgrades to fix this, but thought you should know. Right now, I'd buy all my 802.11g products from the same vendor until the standard has been out awhile. There is no guarantee that they will work together (unlike when 802.11g is an official standard... at least in theory!)

This is just a personal addition to the reasons to go with 802.11g over WiFi; it might not matter to you. The security is better in 802.11g. It is really lame and fairly easily crackable in WiFi (.11b) but I'm a security/privacy nut... this might not matter to you. So they tap your internet communications? If you're purchasing from a web site or checking your bank balance then the data is encrypted (https) they still won't see them. So does it matter that they can see what you type in this forum (for example)? Probably not.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:44 PM   #27
NHL

eric s

Shall we go into 1xEV-DO solutions? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:48 PM   #28

NHL

I sure wouldn't mind getting into the Verizon trials for it. Assuming it's reaonable priced (From Verizon?? Riiiiight.) that will beat the pants off of most consumer-grade DSL.

I wonder what the latency is, though. It looks like it pigy-backs on G3. I know something about pager networks, but very little about celular, and basically nothing about the technical side of G3. I just know that it should be very nice, once it gets rolled out.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:01 AM   #29
NHL

The problem with most broadbands is the 'last-mile', hence the demise of DSL. Every broadband provider including cable and yes, even satellite, require installation personnels.

3G on the other hand are based on the cell-phone model with 2 types: W-CDMA (wide band CDMA mostly used by GSM platforms) and CDMA2000 championed by Qualcomm. CDMA2000 1xEvolution Data-Only, unlike W-CDMA, requires only an extra 1.25MHz of spectrum for a peak rate of 2.4Mps and is compatible with the older CdmaONE as well as newer the 1xRTT hence the Verizon connection. W-CDMA operators however; require at least 5MHz additional spectrum, that they must purchase for their 3G hence more costly to roll-out...

The nice thing about 1xEV-DO is that it can be made IP based, and almost any providers (ie former pager networks for one) can jump on the bandwagon and use cheaper trunkline (ie not T1/E1 lines, which are owned by the phone Co.s). Unlike 802.11x which is only suitable for LAN, this new 3G extension really makes everyone truly mobile!!! 8) 8) 8)

BTW http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030320/cisco_linksys_1.html
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:08 AM   #30

NHL

As always, thanks for the detailed info. I always enjoy reading your posts. The recent FCC(?) rules which (basically) turned the wired networks back into monopolies irked me because there really isn't competition. The "last mile" problem makes land-lines quite expensive. In my town, DSL costs more than a cable modem and both Comast (was AT&T) and RCN are still quite high and going up. And service still sucks. The FCC can claim there is competition all they want, but until it effects my bill I don't believe them. And everyone has been raising prices, when surveys say the number 1 factor people don't subscribe is cost. And they wonder why they aren't growing as much as they'd like??? Hopefully wireless & electric-line networks will really start to compete some time soon.

Linksys is being bought by Cisco?!?!? Linksys sure has come a long way from its bottom feeding, low quality days (as I am sitting next to a firewall/router of their.) But $500m is a lot of money. I sure hope they are worth it... I like Cisco. I've used a fair amount of their products and although they are over priced they are quite nice.

I hope that "over priced" part doesn't care over to Linksys.