Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 13, 2003, 6:49 PM   #1

Default Oh joy, a new memory format!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03...minisdcard.asp

<start rant><start sarcasm>That's just what we needed!<end sarcasm> Really, can't manufacturers settle on a few standards? CF/MD, MS, xD, SD/MMC, and now this new MiniSD... and they keep making them smaller and smaller. People are not getting smaller and smaller you know...<end rant> :P
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:28 PM   #2

"Oh, joy..." <sigh>

My exact reaction when I read that too. At least it's sanctioned. But do we really need a new one??? Come on!!! I was volume sales to drive the price down, not a fragmented market and higher prices.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:20 AM   #3
NHL

Hey, they are smaller, and an adapter can always be made for it to go in a standard sD slot (very much like a MS Duo), and then we can put this setup in a CF adapter and be able to use it again... Better still why don't they just make a CF adapter for this new mini SD! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Notice how Fuji/Olympus (xD makers) are also members of sD, but notably absent is Sony! http://www.sdcard.org/member.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Better still why don't they just make a CF adapter for this new mini SD!
oh, you can bet that they will
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:40 AM   #5

we have a way to tell the manufacturers that we do not like their games. I WILL NOT BUY anything XD, and I am not ready to change from the SD to the mini one.
They messed up with customers enough with the smartcrap and now the release of the XD is a joke. no availability and Hight prices of cards and ridiculous reader prices.

But wait Sony will have to do something about their Stick! so the release of new formats is not going to end soon.
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:54 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
But wait Sony will have to do something about their Stick! so the release of new formats is not going to end soon.
Doesn't Sony have their own alphabet soup already?
1. MemoryStick
2. MemoryStick 'Duo' <-- same size as xD and Mini sD
3. MemoryStick 'Select'
4. MemoryStick 'Pro'

Quote:
we have a way to tell the manufacturers that we do not like their games. I WILL NOT BUY anything XD, and I am not ready to change from the SD to the mini one.
The market will dictate this. Stick with CF, it's the cheapest even @ the densest size, and compatible with the Microdrive. You can also have an adapter for almost every other formats, except of course for the MemoryStick! (but then who cares since it's going to "Stick"out anyway) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:31 PM   #7

Why don't we just have memory-less cams with a pcmicia interface (sort of CF that works) then we can slip in media cards via a pcmcia host adapter! Alternatively, why not make the usb connector a memory drive interface, you just hook up your image tank or dangle your favorite memory, whatever's in fashion, off the end of it.

Manufacturers got the idea of chucking different memory formats at us when somebody referred to cam memory as 'digital film' So memory comes in different flavours, speeds and packaging - just like film!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 5:51 PM   #8

voxmagna

I've thought that something like that will happen when wireless really takes off. You'll have a small hard disk or solid state memory device in your backpack, pocket, belt loop.... and then just transmit the pictures over to it. Of course, you've got security problems and the like. But it seems like an interesting idea.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:13 PM   #9
NHL

Eric s / Vox

Why wait... It's already here: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030128/282272_1.html

You can shoot it to your flash or to your WAP! :lol: :lol: :lol: (just need the camera driver for WiFi that's all)... Or the Toshiba e740 PDA can do it for you, since it is also 802.11b enabled with a built-in CF/microdrive/sD as well as MMC support so you can put that on your belt (or backpack)!!! 8) 8) 8) http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...1&Adoid=214403

CF goes all the way to 6G now right?
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:03 PM   #10

Actually, before I posted I was beginning to wonder whether the CF media with built in usb actually had some use. I thought that either the cam needed a dumb memory port with controller like pcmcia, from which you hang your memory dongle in fashion, or the removeable media incorporating the usb/wireless link as you suggest and the connected pc or intelligent hard drive with usb/wireless controller used the cam media as temporary file cache.

You can imagine this with dvcam. Mass Storage in the car or pocket, cam in wireless range saving to HD or dvd.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote