Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:30 PM   #1

Can someone tell me the differences between MMC and SD? I believe the Lumix FZ5 (which I'm about to buy) can take both, and that the MMC is cheaper. I plan to get a 60X or maybe even the 150X SD card if the MMC is not recommended, so let me know, please.

Jerry

jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:24 PM   #2

MMC and SD are the same physical size, and they are interchangeable. I think that SD cards are considerably faster than MMC, and the SD card also has an erase prevention tab on the side which you can slide up to protect your data. MMC cards don't have this feature.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:29 PM   #3

Thanks. It sounds as tho the speed difference will steer me to the SD card, then.

Jerry
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:19 PM   #4
Administrator

As of 2005 the most popular flash memory format for digital cameras is undoubtedly the Secure Digital (SD) card. SD and MMC (MultiMediaCard) cards are nearly identical on the outside but technically different on the inside. Not all cameras that use SD can also use MMC cards, check your camera's user manual. SD cards are generally faster than MMC cards.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:34 PM   #5

I'm planning to buy a Lumix FZ5, and so far your and the other reply suggest that I should get an SD card. I have read about 60X being much better than 30X memory cards for speedy shot to shot times and reduced shutter lag, but I wonder if the really high numbers like 150X are possibly more than the camera itself could use. Any comment?

TIA,
Jerry
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:15 AM   #6

imho, the X rating is not a standard definition across the industry, especially for those 2nd or 3rd tier brands. whats important is to look for the actual write speeds, some manufacturers state only the read speed whereas the write speed is more critical
igadgetsgp is offline   Reply With Quote