Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 15, 2003, 4:18 PM   #1

Default Sandisk 1Gb CF - Type I or II?

I know, sounds silly, but the package doesn't say. I need to get a PC card adapter and found both Type I and combo Type I/II, with the latter being twice a expensive. Can I assume a Type one PC card adapter is what I need to buy?
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2003, 7:18 PM   #2

type II
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:04 PM   #3

Type 1 cards are thin. Type 11 are thick. A Microdrive is type 11, so to be future proof consider the type 1/11 reader.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 3:48 AM   #4

Since I don't have a Microdrive to compare it too, define thin (not that I don't trust the previous post by sjms, but it already looks pretty thin to me .
Old Mar 16, 2003, 4:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Since I don't have a Microdrive
Yes, but you have a pc connected to the internet and the answer from a Google search is here: If you don't trust this info, there are about 31,000 other sites to look at:

http://www.compactflash.org/faqs/faq.htm#What_is

http://www.compactflash.org/info/cfinfo.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=...h=&safe=images
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 4:41 AM   #6

Yea, I know it's poor form to reply ones own post but...

According to the CF description within Steves:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html

The standard 1GB CF card from Sandisk is a Type I but in the picture at the bottom it looks identical in form factor as the Microdrive. Sandisk web site doesn't even mention Type I or II cards that I could find.

Anyone else as confused as I am? :?
Old Mar 16, 2003, 5:44 AM   #7
NHL

A PC card (PCMCIA) slot has 3 types: type I, type II, and type III all identical size except for the thickness with type I being the thinnest, and Type III the thickest (ie some PCMCIA hardisk).

This is not to be confused with CF-I and CF-II, also identical in size except for the thickness, again with CF-II the thicker one. Most CF flash cards today are of CF-I type (3.3mm thick), the microdrive and larger/older flash cards can be of CF-II type (5mm thick). Sjms is right, it's a type II. Although a PC card type I adapter would have work just as well, but the thickness of the CF card could change the combination to a type II PC card because of the thickness of the CF card(ie 5mm vs 3.3mm) and not the PC card adapter in itself! :?
http://www.compactflash.org/faqs/faq.htm
Quote:
At 43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 3.3mm (0.13"), the CF Type I card's thickness is less than one-half of a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually one-fourth the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has 50 pins but still conforms to ATA specs. It can be easily slipped into a passive 68-pin PCMCIA Type II to CF Type I adapter that fully meets PCMCIA electrical and mechanical interface specifications.
They are all electrically identical, so if the adapter/CF combination can mechanically slide in your laptop slot, they would work!!! 8) 8) 8)
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...t=7130&start=0
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 8:09 AM   #8

voxmagna, Don't mean to sound rude because I appreciate all efforts to help, but your post did not explain anything. It talks about PC card standards and pin-outs. I could not find where it tells me whether or not the Sandisk 1GB card is a CF-1 or CF-2 card.

This is important because I need an adapter now, and the only one one avialable is a Type I card. On the other hand, I would have have to wait on a Type I/II card, but if I don't need it....hence the dilemmna.

Question, is the adapter package talking about PC Card Type I or II or the CF card? Now I am doubly confused.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 9:49 AM   #9
NHL

The Sandisk 1G flash is CF type I!

Quote:
Question, is the adapter package talking about PC Card Type I or II or the CF card? Now I am doubly confused.
What does it says on the package? either way it would work. A PC Card type I would have worked in type II (and type III also), just because it's thinner. The converse is not true however since their size are thicker (ie a PC card type III would not fit a type I slot!!!).

The thinner Laptops are type I only with two (2) type I slots. You can still insert a type II PC card but it would encroach on the other slot depending how the slots are oriented, hence only one type II can be inserted or two type I instead (and are specs as such, either the top or bottom of this type I slot is type II compatible)... Still confuse?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 12:10 PM   #10

Adapter just said Type I - I did not know if it was talking about the CF type or the PC Card type. I have since found pictures of the two types of CF cards nad confirm what you already knew.

Thanks for your patience.

PS My 7Hi has been shipped! WooHoo!