Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:08 PM   #1

I went the other day looking for a new SD card, and the vendor told me the card he had was a "Standard Speed" one. When I asked him how many "X" he was, he told me it was one X.

Now, that cannot be true, since I have a 60X card, and it cannot be 60 times a standard speed. Someone else told me standard speed is about 40-45 X.

Does anyone know that for sure?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:00 PM   #2

like a lot of salesmen, he doesn't reallyknow what he's talking about. in the world of flash memory like this, "x" is equal to 150 Kb/sec. most of the "standard speed cards" are actually about 8x, or something in the range of 1.2MB/sec. some are a little faster, closer to 2MB/sec, but still pretty slow.your 60x card is 60x150Kb, or about 9MB/sec.

depending on your camera's write speed and file size, you may find that a 60x card is more than fast enough... or you may need to step up to something faster still, like the 133x cards now out. my FZ20 writes at something around 5-6MB/sec, so a "standard" card causes problems with burst mode or continuous shooting - the camera has to stop every few frames to wait for the card to catch up. with a 60x card, however, i can shoot JPEG images continuously till i fill up my card - about 240 frames - or my finger gets tired, whichever comes first, and the camera won't stop to wait for the card. :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:51 PM   #3

Thanks for your answer.

I have an FZ10 and two SD cards; one is a Transcend 45x (Not 60x, I was wrong there) and the other is a SanDisk... I don't know what its speed is. Haven't made a dedicated test to see if one of them takes more time to be ready in burst mode.

Still, if "standard speed" is about 8x; there's a lot of difference with my Transcend 45x card - and I know there are much faster cards in the market now.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:59 PM   #4

if your Sandisk is a high-speed card,it will be marked "Ultra II" and runs atabout 60x; otherwise, if it's just a plain "Ultra", it's somewhere in the standard range. i think most of the Sandisk "standard" cards run at about 16x, or about 2.5MB/sec. the new Extreme III cards are 20MB/sec, or about 133x.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5

Thank you!

Do you know where can I find more information about it?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6
E.T

From manufacturers website.
Some manufacturers just don't tell writing speeds of their cards are... but who would want to publicly say that their products are slow!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:05 AM   #7

Your cameras CF card is only as good as your camera can write data to it. Currently my Rebel XT maxes out at around 8-9k/s which is pretty nice so with that setup, you'd be more than fine running an "ultra II" or if you want much more bang for your buck.... get a Hitachi Microdrive.

Here is a 3gb version of the Hitachi Microdrive for only $89.00 from www.newegg.com and i've compared its read and write speeds to my 1gb Xtreme III and i saw ZERO difference in performance because the Camera can only write so fast to the card due to its memory buffer, etc.

IMO, anyone who buys a CF or Microdrive faster than 8-9mb/s is wasting their money.
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:44 AM   #8

Andrew LB wrote:
Quote:
IMO, anyone who buys a CF or Microdrive faster than 8-9mb/s is wasting their money.
mmm... I don't know about CF, butI've seen a lot of people mentioning the differences when using SD cards with different speeds. So I'm not quite sure of the accuracy of your post.