Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:44 PM   #11
Administrator

E.T wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
One thing I like about SD is that you don't have to worry about bendng pins, and can easily clean the contacts on the card.
I don't know how anyone could get those pins bent without abuse, slots of card readers/cameras I've seen have been designed so that card can be pushed in only from right direction/position.
It doesn't happen often, but it happens. You see it reported from time to time (bent or broken off pins in a camera's CF slot).

Quote:
PS. They better go for something like 20GB if they intend to drop card slots, otherwise I'm going to tell them my uncensored opinion where they can stuff whole camera.
:-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:46 PM   #12
NHL

E.T is correct!

The CF specs calls for the CF card to be guided at least 19mm in one plane before the exposed pins meet the card contacts (unless you really abuse it or plug-up one of the pin sockets -> this is difficult to happen) - Also the 4 outside pins (2 on each end) are longer than the rest forcing theses pins to establish contact first which is a good thing because theses are ground pins discharging any static from external means...

BTW the number of insertion cycles are also stated: http://www.compactflash.org/cfspc3_0.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:14 PM   #13
Administrator

Maybe it's designed so that it shouldn't happen (bent or broken pins). But, I've seen my share of reports over the years. They're rare, but it occurs (perhaps because of user error). Here is one from last month:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=78513

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:04 PM   #14

question for you CF / XD pro's here (i saw the comment about craptacular XD speeds)

I have an Olympus 5050, and it takes both CF and XD cards, Now i have a 512 MB CF (Old so the speed probably is pretty bad) card, and a 256 Fujifilm XD card (My olympus brand ones are only 128 so I don't use them, Panoramic shots mean nothing to me since it can be done software based anyway)

But Taking pics in RAW or TIFF can take over 10 seconds to save! (to my XD)

Would I be able to get a high performance CF card that would get those within reasonable limits? I really like having the option of no compression for the important pictures. But would a good CF card be worth it? if its still 5 seconds I don't see the point.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:46 AM   #15
E.T

They didn't exactly test with fastest CF so still faster card could shave something away from that 5 seconds.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olym...50z/page10.asp

Best would be if you could test with faster current cards like Sandisk Ultra/Extreme... in KM A2 both of those perform very similarly (three 12MB RAWs in ~12 seconds) so both might work equally well...

PS. So that's where they got name for one planet in Stargate -serie.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:53 AM   #16

You guys also forgot to mention that, since it is a cut down version of PCMCIA, CF also supports lots of I/O cards. Okay, this is of little interest to camera owners but perhaps you have a palmtop too. I have and, although it is DOS powered, it can still read my CF cards. For more info on the range of I/O cards available in the CF format try:
http://www.socketcom.com/

If you want to, you can replace the hard disk in your PC with a CF card. All you need is a simple adapter like one of these:
http://search.ebay.com/compact-flash-ide
Work involves me with a company that uses something similar in a ruggedised PC housed in a Peli-Case that is lugged around on construction sites.

The cards with the greatest capacity are always going to be CF.

For any given site, CF is usually the cheapest format. Sometimes, for smaller cards, this is not the case.

SD cards have Digital Rights Management (DRM) embedded in them. I don't condone the theft of copyright material but I certainly object to the way that DRM is being introduced by stealth.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:40 AM   #17
E.T

Like I've said...

Quote:
Not to be outdone by MemoryStick Panasonic has today ensured that its chosen storage format, Secure Digital card, can at least match the capacity offered in other fomats. There is a catch though, Secure Digital was never designed for capacities over 1 GB, that was solved but then addressing anything over 2 GB became the next problem. To solve this the SD Association have proposed SDHC, essentially the same physical format as SD but only compatible with SDHC devices
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0603/06...nic4gbsdhc.asp

So let's summarize... first it was MMC but that hit to limit thanks to it's inflexible design, then came SD which also had this kind "little" limit because of same reason...
So do you think they can make format which would be flexible enough to work more than five years?

Sony's Scheisse stick itself has seen newer&backwards incompatible version every couple years.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote