Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Compact flash rating

what is the differenc in compact flash writing and rewriting speeds
scandisk doesnt say but scandick ultras say 2.8 MB a sec.
Lexier say 12 times which means what in MB or Kb
thx for any light on this subject
matt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2003, 6:23 PM   #2

1x is 150K per second. lexar goes up to 40x now. but its all relative to your cameras ability to transfer. all cameras are not created equal in that department.

cf cards in fact all memory cards read faster then they write. its a substantially less electrically intensive function.

all those speeds ratings are supposed to be write speeds
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:27 PM   #3

matt81

I would post a question in the forum dedicated to the camera's maker and ask what CF card people like.

Two cards from different companies rated at the same speed will not work the same in the same camera. The way the camera interfaces with the CF card could be a better match to the design of one of the two cards.... and that will translate into a faster write time.

And in the end, it's all about the write time.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:45 PM   #4

Quote:
And in the end, it's all about the write time
To make this absolutely clear, write time for a particular camera/card combination is NOT the same as the specified card speed, nor does it seem there is a relationship which works every time!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:39 PM   #5

voxmagna

Good point. I meant that, but didn't say it explicitly.

If anyone wants to see an example of card/camera testing, check out:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

They are all high end cards, so it doesn't help everyone. but it is interesting to see a card be slow in one camera and faster in another.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 4:26 PM   #6

eric s .....Thanks. didn't find my 602 in the database, mainly high end cams. However, info on card edge marking is useful if you've got a card that works and need to know the next one you buy has the same architecture inside.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 8:05 PM   #7

voxmagna

I have the same problem with that database as well. I learned a lot about CF by reading it, but they are all expensive cameras.

Still, its a nice resource and I check it occasionally for the "same architecture" reason you give.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:43 AM   #8

these are the cameras that will use the speed ratings of the cards. lets face it our cameras are limited in many ways due to constraints of price and power and processing. the referred to the DB to show how even the big guns react to differently to different mfgrs cards. my camera isn't ther either and of all the digicams in the fixed lens type it has the largest buffer at 64MB.

so when someone whips out a 40x card and plugs it in ther $300 digicam and says it performed x times speedier than the 32x card they just had in it. read with a tablespoon of salt not a grain.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 1:23 PM   #9

Yes, and isn't it funny how we are all pc literate and can compare one motherboard spec with another to benchmark speed before we buy, with a sort of linear expectation of performance versus price, but nobody asks similar questions about digicam cpu's, cache memory and architecture!

All we can think about is the memory card that plugs into this 'pc motherboard' Bit like worrying about the transfer rate to a floppy disc on a Z80. Add a hard drive and the bottle neck stays with the Z80.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:43 PM   #10

we generally don't because most of us are blinded with the instant gratification of digital images. it's magic you know.