Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:17 AM   #1

I need to buy myself some more memory with the arrival of my new Canon A610. I have a couple of older cameras and so have a couple of smallish capacity cards (both cameras are pretty old and have comparatively low resolution) one being an MMC card with 32MB and the other an SDwith 256MB.

Both cards will go into my new Canon although admittedly the MMC will not hold more then a few pictures. The question is, where do I go from here in terms of the size of memory? Should I buy a couple of 512MB SD cards? Or get something larger?

I suppose there's the point of view that if I have a 1GB card and rely on that for everything, if something goes wrong with the card or its lost, I've lost all my pictures, whereas if I were to buy a couple of 512's I haven't got all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Any views?

Oh and in terms of write speed, should I buy "Ultra" or "High-Speed" cards that some manufacturers advertise or stick to the generic bog-standard? Or then again should I buy a mix?

Ron

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:18 AM   #2

I prefer a small number of large cards. It seems that most memory problems are due to handling - changing smaller cards often means more handling and more chance of problems. In terms of lost images, I'd bet that comes down to favor large cards - might loose more images if there is a failure, but less chance of having a failure.

Since with carefull handling the chance of failure is small, so I'd suggest simply looking at price/Mbyte. That tends to favor cards that are large, but short of the largest available: 2g forCF seems to be the sweet spot at the moment.Could bedifferent for SD.

As for speed: that depends on the camera as well as the memory. Check in the forum for your specific camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:23 PM   #3

Bill

Yes, I can understand your thinking. I work for an IT disaster recovery company and the vast majority of instances where we are called to assist a client are where human intervention has caused havoc.

I guess the lesson to be drawn from that is pretty much what you're saying.

Ron

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4

I would eventually lose a small SD card if I had several. And with USB2 transfer speeds directly from cameras anymore there isn't any reason to be handling the cards.

I usually get a card large enough to run the battery down before it fills with best quality images. Then I just leave the card married to the camera.

Your old cards aren't likely to be fast enough for best quality movies and might slow your cycle times. The MMC card is certainly too slow for 2Mb/sec movies. I would spring for a 1 Gig SD card with at least 3Mb/sec write time. I think that would be a minimum of about 30X.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:05 PM   #5

i bought a 1 gb* sandisk 111, 20 mb/sec. my camera can shoot continuously as fast as it possibly can whereas before it would stall when buffer filled. i never need to handle the card and will probably never fill it up.* i don't even need to think about it which i like. i have a couple small backups. j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:30 AM   #6
Administrator

I'm with BillDrew...

Go for the cards with the best "bang for the buck" (cost/megabyte), which will probably be larger cards, but not the very largest available (since the latest and greatest cards tend to demand a premium).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S. Ditto for speed (latest and greatest cards tend to be more expensive). Also, you tend to see diminishing returns going from the next fastest to the fastest cards in most models (for example, from the Sandisk Ultra II to the Extreme III).

So, provided the speed is enough for your needs, I'd go for the best bang for the buck with speed (cost/Megabytes per second) and size (cost/Megabyte).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:13 PM   #8

Sandisk makes their "standard" SD card up to 2 Gigs. A standard SD card considerably slowed the cycle times on my Z750 compared to a faster card.

You really want to see a Mb/sec read speed rating for the card you get. jellero says 20 Mb/sec works for his mystery camera, but I'm not aware of a Sandisk card rated at that speed. Their site rates only the II and III cards for speed. I don't think the standard cards generate that much speed – at least the one in my Palm Tungsten doesn't.

I probably overkilled with an Ultra II card for my camera, but the price was right and I had no way of knowing exactly how much speed the camera needed. I would buy a name brand card if I were getting another and get at least 40X. There is no way I would get two 512Mb cards because the price per Mb saved me a couple of bucks.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:22 AM   #9

For point and shoot cameras I think several smaller cards is better (safer) but with DSLR and top end digital cameras larger cards are needed. My KM 5D onlyholds 40 pictures on a 128GB CF card shooting in fine JPEG. I have a 2GB coming today. Down the road I will get a spare 2GB. Most experts recommend at least 2GB for the DSLRs.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:07 AM   #10

I follow BillDrew's idea, in a way. I carry 4 1gb Sanddisk Extreme 3 cards. When shotting in RAW I get 95-100 picture per card. 3-4 35mm film rolls worth. Saves on time not have to change cards so often. Alot to loose if one fails compared to film but not as much if you where using 2-6gb cards
Only1Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote