Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:56 AM   #1

My IBM 1Gig Microdrive has some corrupted photo files on it. Can the Microdrive be formatted to get rid of them. They won't delete as my system reports they're unereadable?:sad:
calrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Format the drive via your camera's menu choice for formatting (not via a card reader, since some camera models won't support a 32 bit FAT like Windows will use by default).

I do this with all of my media (format via a camera's menus) prior to every use, no exceptions.

That insures I always start out with a fresh file allocation table, just the way a camera expects to see it (since the camera is performing the format).

If you use a card reader to do this instead of your camera, I'd make sure to select a File System Type of FAT (you'll see a drop down menu for file system type after you right click on a drive and select Format).

Also, make sure to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray to make sure all buffers have been flushed to the media before removing it, unless your card reader driver is setup for "quick removal" in it's driver properties under Windows.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:18 AM   #3

Thanks JimC. Had forgotten about doing it in my D7! I really appreciate this helpful forum.
calrec is offline   Reply With Quote