Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 30, 2003, 1:09 AM   #1

Default memory card question

Hello,
I just bought a digicam (for the first time) and I accidentally reformatted my memory card in my computer instead of the camera. Now my camera cannot read my memory card, is there a way I can fix this or reformat the memory card to my camera settings?
Thanks for you help!
Cat
Xotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:11 AM   #2

We'll need to know what type of camera. A few actually put a special "mark" (for lack of a better term) on the memory card. If you have one of those cameras then the choices of how to fix it are much fewer.

Have you tried to reformat the card from within the camera?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:37 AM   #3

Yes some cams do put their signature on the card. However, if you can't reformat in the camera you may be able to rescue your card with utilities supplied with Dazzle readers, which put the card back to an equivalent oem blank card, as first supplied.

Your card is not permanently broken, but the path to recovering the format needs a bit of pc knowledge. If you are still not able to format in the cam you can try reformatting in the pc using Win2K DOS or XP.

BUT YOU MUST FORMAT AS 16 BIT FAT. Not the 32Bit FAT you have probably re-formatted it to, which is the Windows default format.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:02 PM   #4

Default camera model

thanks for responsing!
My camera is a minolta dimage s404.
I do have windows xp, just wondering how do I format it to 16Bit FAT
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:42 PM   #5

Default Just fix it!!!

Voxmagna, thanks for the advice......My camera is up and working again!!!! I really thought that I would have to buy a new memory card, hehehe, what an expensive mistake! Anyways, thanks for saving me a big head ache!!!
Eric, thanks for responding too!!!
Much Appreciated!
Cat
Old Mar 30, 2003, 4:22 PM   #6

Well it only took you 40 minutes to work that one out!- well done! VOX

PS try out WinHex32 - that's handy for filling the card with zero's and imaging it's format, plus looking at cluster sizes. I always image a brand new card out of the pack, before doing anything with it. Had one once, sold as new, but which was full of data - obviously a return.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 6:28 PM   #7

just a little something to remember in windows XP. any CF card 32MB and above that you format will default to FAT32 and you the user must choose FAT16 on the dropdown list.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 2:20 AM   #8

Yesterday evening when I tried to shoot with my A60 it showed a memory card error and all the images that I had stored in it were lost. I checked the manual which said in such cases you can try re-formatting. I tried that and when I did a format it gave me the following error ->E50. What does this mean and how do I rectify this? Also, the 16MB CF card now shows a memory of only 3.8MB. Please help me out with this problem.

regards,

Arunkumar Sivaraman
arun_junta is offline   Reply With Quote