Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 31, 2003, 5:11 AM   #1

Default Compact Flash or Microdrive

which is better - the 1gb compact flash cards or the 1gb microdrive?
Are the solid state cards quicker? Why such a large price difference for the same capacity...?
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2003, 5:22 AM   #2

You have a 602. Microdrives and SM work fine - read the disclaimers in the manual!. CF might not - Wot a lot of cash to shell out on big CF and be disappointed!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:14 AM   #3
NHL

The microdrive are usually faster for the same cost... that's why it works in the s602 for continuous video. As the cost of 1g flashes increases over the microdrive so are their speeds (x factor). Also check for the sustained write speed specs... not the burst rating which usually only fills the card internal controller's cache until the device chokes on the slower write cycles to the actual memory cells.

The higher sustained write cycles of the microdrive is usually offset by the higher power consumption. Also one needs to be aware that theses are mechanical devices, although none of mine has failed yet, and I used them for other purposes than taking pictures as well.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:29 AM   #4

but then again the performace of a good SS CF (lexar 32x 1GB) has now exceeded that of the current 1gb MD (depending on the camera) which of course will be improved this fall with the new crop of hitachi branded MD. but of course by then the newer improved 40+x 1,2, 4 gb lexars will be announced and out then too.

and the cycle continues

one thing i have to say NHL- you keep pushing the sustained write cycle superiorority of the MD. in most cases it carries only a 1-3 yr warranty depending on the vendor and only 1 yr from ibm/hitachi. should it fail and this is just a supposition because they are a good product, on day 366 of the 1yr warranty you are technically out of luck. with lexar you send it back 5 years, 10 years from date of purchase after failure you will recieve a new card. they seemed to have a lot of confidence in their product.

i do seem to be the owner of a MD also so i'm not just throwing rocks.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 9:10 AM   #5
NHL

I own flash cards as well so I'm not throwing rock either...

But you're right we'll just have to wait and see which one is the more economical (The 6G Pretec card is close to $8k) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Other significant technical achievements include a data transfer rate increase that represents a 50 percent improvement from the previous-generation Microdrive. Hitachi engineers estimate that the new data transfer rates are faster than all competitive solid-state data storage products available today...

...The Microdrive is currently the CompactFlash price performance leader with the lowest cost per megabyte in the industry. The new 4GB version Microdrive is expected to continue this leadership tradition.
http://www.hgst.com/about/news/20030106-5.html
Old Mar 31, 2003, 9:21 AM   #6

"transfer rate increase that represents a 50 percent improvement from the previous-generation Microdrive. Hitachi engineers estimate that the new data transfer rates are faster than all competitive solid-state data storage products available today"

thats currently future thinking not to be delivered until this fall. i think kodak made some similar statements last year about a certain product that unfortunately as delivered about 60%. lets hope hitachui does a little better
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:49 PM   #7

I borrowed a friends 30x transcend 512mb card yesterday which seemed to work fine for stills and short videos...
Just that price per mb the microdrive is by far the better option!
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:03 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
I borrowed a friends 30x transcend 512mb card yesterday which seemed to work fine for stills and short videos...
What about long video on the s602? Have you tried it with the flash card, otherwise the MD seems to be doing fine for this demanding application...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...t=6527&start=0

Quote:
Just that price per mb the microdrive is by far the better option!
Ain't that the truth with PC as well... Otherwise we'll all be booting from flashes (or supersized BIOS) instead of cheap rotating media!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:30 AM   #9

will be trying out the 512mb card again tomorrow to see how it goes on a full length movie. should be a pretty good test of the transcend card!
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:21 AM   #10

The 512mb transcend 30x card worked perfectly. had no problems at all in taking over 6 and a half mins of full quality vga video.