Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:29 AM   #21

they're not that delicate.

and it's Sandisk

bottom of the list delkins regular cf model 1gb $225 free ship call the(delkin) on the write speed-(800)-637-8087

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:05 AM   #22

Default Thanks

I went to newegg and put a call in to Delkin, but it was busy. I will try again later. Thanks for all the info.
seidstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:28 AM   #23

Default Write Speeds for MD's

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

This review indicated that the 340 MD had a write speed of 16x but the 1Gb IBM MicroDrive was 22x. My question is, can my Nikon 5000 make use of that extra speed or am I max'd out at about 40 seconds. Don't know that I can find a 1Gb drive to try it.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:54 PM   #24
NHL

I think you've max out with your CP5000. On the D7 it only takes 17.48s for the same tiff file, well under the max limit of the microdrives (ie only by x6)... You can speed thing up a little bit by going to the RAW mode though. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:11 PM   #25

Default RAW

I don't have a RAW mode on the 5000, the 5700 has it.
I go from Fine, which is about a 2.0Mb .jpeg file to Hi which is the .tiff file at 14-15Mb's.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:09 PM   #26
NHL

BTW the dpReview tests were done with a firewire reader, there's a significant difference in speed when you try theses devices with a true IDE interface such as a laptop PC-card(PCMCIA) adapter.

... and we've seen the end of it yet!
http://www.compactflash.org/pr/030302a.pdf

xD, sD, MMC, and MemorySticks just move over please (ie < x100!)... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Apr 12, 2003, 12:13 AM   #27

Default New Results

An idea popped into my head. Why not try the Lexar 32mb card that came with the camera and see if it was faster. It turned out to be an 8x card. Only holds 1 - 15mb picture.

Are you ready for this?

24 seconds. Almost half of the Micro Drive.

I'm going to try a Delkin at my local camera shop tomorrow and see how it performs. If it isn't that great, I'll go with a Lexar 32x WA.
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:47 PM   #28

Default Delkin

A 512mb Delkin E film took 40 seconds to record a 15mb file... same as the IBM Micro Drive 340mb. The salesperson said that the larger a CF card the slower it gets. I don't believe a Lexar 8x 32mb should write a file in 24 seconds and a 512 because it's bigger would take 40 seconds. I would find that hard to believe. I'm going with a Lexar 32x 1 Gb with WM. I know I can't utilize the WM, but if an 8x card functions that well in my camera, surely a 32x can match it, even if it is smaller.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 7:14 AM   #29
NHL

Quote:
I don't believe a Lexar 8x 32mb should write a file in 24 seconds and a 512 because it's bigger would take 40 seconds. I would find that hard to believe.
... It's not the size, but how a flash card is organized internally. Flash memories are made of blocks, and pages. Writing to pages are much faster than blocks! Also each CF card's controller has a cache, that is used to parse out the data that it received to thoses pages and blocks. If this cache matches the one in your camera it will perform the best, otherwise it'll assert a signal forcing a wait to the camera for the next memory dump... (A larger cache is not a solution since it has to match the above pages/block, otherwise it's just a waste)

In another word, it's the resulting speed of both the camera AND flash interfaces! Flash card speed alone is a good indication in general, but is not a guarantee. In fact some slower cards could run in your camera faster than a faster one... 8)

This is also an oversimplification because there's more stuffs going on in a flash card than just writes and reads, all contributing to this speed dilemna. There's a logical to physical translation to map a hardisk type access to a particular physical memory locations of a flash card layout. There's an ECC detection to mask out bad blocks when a flash cell has been oxidized too many times... and there's also a rolling pointer on not to always access the same location hence extending the flash life!!! :lol:

...May be it's just the Nikon engineers having the Lexar in mind when they developed your CP5000 :P
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:30 AM   #30

Default Lexar

I got on instant messaging tha Lexar provides. I didn't get the most technical person in the world, but she did provide some information and support. Basically, my camera is maxed out at 12x. I had to pin her down, but she indicated that a 32x card would provide me with a 12x equivalent speed and would not be slower than my current 8x 32mb Lexar card.

She indicated that Lexar and Nikon do have a working relationship and that both provide each other with firmware updates so that customers do not suffer, but rather benefit from changes.

If I can at least get 24 seconds out of a 32x 1Gb card and a 15 mb .tif, I'll be very pleased. If it is faster than that, I'm dancing.