Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 31, 2003, 3:26 PM   #1

Default CF or MD for Nikon 5000

When I do photo shoots for portraits, the Hi mode is considerably better when printing 13 x 19 inch photos. The files are 14-15 megabytes in size. I have to wait 1-2 minutes to write to my Scan Disk 128 cards and then I only get 8-9 photos/card. Either 512 or 1 Gig would be better, but I am also looking for speed with my particular camera.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
seidstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2003, 3:55 PM   #2

You should go for a highspeed/ultra compact flash card, which consumes less power than a microdrive and works faster. Go for Ultra/highspeed CF.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 2:30 PM   #3

Default Which One?

After reading on this subject for hours, several points become evident:

1. Some cameras can't make use of faster cards.
2. Not all card speeds are indicitive of the speed they will operate in different cameras.

So... could someone help me with knowledge or experience find a high speed card that will work with a Nikon 5000 without wasting my money on speed which won't be utilized?
Old Apr 1, 2003, 4:19 PM   #4

you have to try a few cards out at varying speeds and see at about what speed you transfer bus saturates or hits the wall. go the a shop and try out some cards by simply shooting a raw shot and timing the light on to light off on your xfr. then do some simple math. you know the size of the file and how many seconds it took to transfer that will be the xfr rate. you try a real fast card like a lexar 32x and the work your way back. shoot the same image every time . also think of what direction your going to go in a year or so. you might get a faster camera that will gag on a slow card. its a tough decision i know. but if your thinking MD vs 1gb cf your looking at some differences price per mb puts the MD ahead. butthere are other issues. a MD carries a 1 yr warranty from the manufacturer and is a electromechanical component at $199. a good lexar pro 1gb 32x cf card currently goes at $272 delivered and is a solid state device. it carries a lifetime warranty and should it fail you will get a new one. now i'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a MD. if your rough on your gear solid state is the way to go. i own both. peace of mind on a $200+ investment. this is what i own
1- delkin pro 512MB warranty lifetime
1- delkin pro 640MB warranty lifetime
1- ibm 1 GB MD warranty 1yr
1- lexar pro 32x 1gb warranty lifetime
electronc devices have poor ROI. except maybe good old tube amps
now on the MD i have seen 3yrs warranties from ebay sellers. i just hope you can find some of them in three years. some of them change their names faster then greased lightening. sort of hard to keep up with
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 5:32 PM   #5

Default Lexar 32x

Any ideas where I might find the best deals on some fast Lexar CF's?
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:41 PM   #6

here's one potential:

http://www.ichq.com/cgi-bin/bltsearch.cgi?s_mfg=LEXAR&s_max=100&ORDER_ID=!ORDE RID!

this is where i got the 1gb card
Old Apr 3, 2003, 9:54 AM   #7

Default 1 GB

1 Gb CF Lexar 32x WM for $264. I read in a forum yesterday that the Nikon 5700 was only capable of utilizing 12x. I can get a 1 Gb IBM micro drive for $190. Which would be faster for write purposes? I need to write 15 Mb files.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:01 AM   #8
NHL

It's pretty obvious that the microdrive (~x28) is a better deal; however the 5700's EN-EL1 battery is the limiting factor here, unless of course you happened to own the NiMh battery grip ops: ops: ops:

In your case I stick with flash! (but you can get some saving by choosing a lesser speed)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:16 AM   #9

they'll both theoretically write at the sames speed which is the max that your camera will go.

from a $ to MB stand point the MD wins. from a theoretical longevity standpoint the lexar cf wins.

there is the addition of lexars reader (which reads only their cards) and the test/recovery software (which of course you need teir reader to use).
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:32 AM   #10
NHL

Quote:
from a theoretical longevity standpoint the lexar cf wins
... just don't forget that all flashes inherently have limited write cycles by specs, until the warranty kick-in (but by then everyone would have move on to the 10Gig!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote