Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 1, 2003, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Best CF for the Canon PowerShot S400 Elph?

I'm wondering if anyone has done tests with different types of compact flash cards? I'm curious to know which cards work the best with this particular camera.

You can find every single detailed spec about the S400 except for its internal memory bus speed, which seems to be the case for all digicams.

I see it comes with a 32MB card, but what speed is the included card? I'd like to know if there's any benefit to using 8x, 12x, or 16x memory for this particular camera. I know there's not much difference in write speeds from 8 to 12, but every little bit helps. If I could save a 2MB .jpg picture in 2 seconds instead of 3, I'd go for it. Heck, I'd even get a certain memory if I could just shave 0.5 seconds of save time.
Skram0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 6:44 PM   #2

Anyone know if Ridata would go good for this camera? Or SimpleTech? In other cameras Ridata beat SimpleTech, but not sure about this camera.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:31 AM   #3

Hello,

I just responded to a similar post. I have the S400 and have tried it with different speed cards and have not noticed a difference. From what I was told was the S400 only writes at 4x anyway so it will not matter. Just go for price and brand. I wound up getting two 256 MB Lexars at Amazon for about $43.00 each after rebate. I bought for the price which was great and the name which was recommended. Here is a link if you are interested. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...U/mjbdesign-20

Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:49 AM   #4

Default Found a good card

Well, I went ahead and bought a Ridata 20x 256MB for $42 from eBay. The same company who auctioned it sells them on their site for $58. So I think I got a good deal.

I'm amazed at the speed the S400 writes to this card. I timed it with a digital watch. I let it focus. Then from right when I pressed the snap button to when the blinking green light stops blinking I timed it. I also kept the camera in the same position, light, and zoom.

WRITE SPEED (1 picture)
-------------------------------
Canon 32MB CF = ~5.7 seconds
Ridata 20x 256MB CF = ~3.7 seconds

I'll take a 54% increase in write speed anyday.
Time your memory, and post your results.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:18 PM   #5

Hi all,

does the speed of the cfcard affect the max recording time. with an old sandisk 128mo cfcard, can i reccord 3mn of movie or does i need a high speed card.

thks for your help
hugozork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 9:40 AM   #6

if the stated limit of movie recording is say 60 seconds on the camera thats it. it is a design limit put in the camera. a faster card will not help. remember the primary purpose of the camera you bought is still imaging. 60 seconds on my camera eats up approx 11MB of space.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 5:32 PM   #7

For the type of your P/Sdigicam, speed rated on CF don't make any different and you can't even recorgnize the different in real time, so save your money and not to pay for the high speed rated that you don't need. It will benefits some of the professional high end DSLR users only.

I can tell you the brands that I use, the standard rated PNY and Sandisk, they both went through my washer a few times, they still work, never missing or damage any file, the only thing that missing ares the labels on the CFs, the washer took them away.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 8:01 PM   #8

Default get at least a 16x

tuanokc, I would say speed does matter to a certain extent. As I have posted above, I've seen a difference comparing the standard Canon CF to my new Ridata 20x. I would highly doubt there would be a difference from 20x to 40x, but you never know unless someone actually tests it for this particular camera.

So I say at least try to get a 16x for this camera. You'll benefit.

I wonder what the standard Canon CF card is, 4x?
Old May 2, 2003, 9:22 AM   #9

Trust me my friend, it does not do one bit of time different for that camera, I test the damn thing everyday, I have access to most of the popular P/S and all kind of CF cards, don't spend the extra money for something that you will not get "jack" out of it. Want to get those extra benefits on the speed, get the D-SLR, for P/S get the one with large buffer memory. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 8:33 PM   #10

which one do ya suggest for the canon S45
twelve is offline   Reply With Quote