Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1

I'm thinking of the 40 GB Wolverine Flashpac for storing pics on travel and backpacking. It seems the best to me for size, weight, convenience, and price.

Does anyone have comments on this unit?

I was about to get the Epson P-2000, but can't justify the price for the extra feature of image viewing. Besides it's heavier.

Thanks,

Dave

Daveco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:49 PM   #2

I've read a few reviews here and there. Have not seen any bad reviews yet. I am going to get a 40GB (or may be the 60GB) version before I go on vacation if I manage to get a 30D before that. It seems to be easy to use and can transfer up to 6GB per charge, which is enough for me because I will use 4 GB CF cards.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:53 PM   #3

Well, since my first post I've researched quite a few portable storage devices. I think I need the capability to actually view the downloaded pics before could erase the memory card. Just getting a file transfer verification wouldn't be enough for me. So, it looks like I'll be getting the Wolverine MVP.

Dave
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:15 AM   #4

I had a Wolverine for 10 minutes... I ordered it from B&H, didn't do my homework, the battery life on it was sooooo bad, I think (can't remember for sure) that it would only last for 8 - 12 Gig of downloads. I returned it and purchased a Hyperdrive HD80 with a 80Gig drive in it. This unit has the fastest download speads available and the battery life is very, Very good. Unfortunatley, I dropped mine and broke it before I got a chance to use it. The 80Gig unit cost around 260-270 and a lot of pro's use them. You can't review the images, however the unit can perform a checksum to insure a good copy if you want it to. BTW, breaking the unit was in no part due to the unit, it's not delicate or anything. I just screwed up and dropped it around 4 or 5 feet onto concrete. :sad:

The unit I have now, Epson P-4000 an 80gig unit with an absolutely gorgous display! But it's expensive, around 650.00.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:16 PM   #5

Hey thanks Joe. I agree, the Hyper Drive is much better than Wolverine. So I am going to order a Hyper Drive 80GB.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:55 PM   #6

From what I was able to see the Hyperdrive doesn't support RAW format so that's out of the question for me. Second, gettingup to 12 Gb of pictures on 1 chargeis a lot of shooting and I consider that to be quite good.I'm going to my native Italy for 14 daysin May and I figureifI shoot up to 100 photos a day that would be great for me to download to the MVP. I'll be able to download my photos via AC from my hotel room anyway so battery lifeisn't that big a deal. I would feel safer with my laptop but it's too much to carry around.

IMHOmost "Pros" would be shooting in RAW format anyway. So I guess it's up to your preference

acurabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:12 PM   #7

Well, although I don't like the idea of spending that much money for the MVP, I've decided I need the extra assurance of verifying the download by being able to review some of the pics. So at this point that's my pick. But considering that I won't be traveling until September, I think I'll wait another couple of months to see what else comes out.

In any case, thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

Dave
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:56 AM   #8

acurabob wrote:
Quote:
From what I was able to see the Hyperdrive doesn't support RAW format so that's out of the question for me.
Where did you read this? I cannot see why it cares about the type of file the card contains. If that is true it is useless to me. I am no pro but I like to shoot RAW a lot of the times.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:30 AM   #9

This is a very important point, so I contacted Hyperdrive directly with this question and here's their reply, copied and pasted from their email:

The HyperDrive HD80 is file format independent and will backup every data (including raw files) on the memory card.

Dave

[/code]
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:39 AM   #10

Daveco2 wrote:
Quote:
This is a very important point, so I contacted Hyperdrive directly with this question and here's their reply, copied and pasted from their email:

The HyperDrive HD80 is file format independent and will backup every data (including raw files) on the memory card.

Dave
Thanks for that. I also contacted them but have not had a response yet. I noticed that the troll had only a single post. I should have known better.