Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:08 PM   #1

Has anyoneexperiencedpoor reliability of ATP 1 GB SD 60X orATP 1 GB Promax 150X Memory Cards? The mfg specifications and independent detailed comparative speed tests look good.
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2
JKA

I have a 512MB ATP 60X SD memory card and I have no problem with it.

It is above the same as the Sandisk ULTR II.

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

Thanks. I have just received a 1 GB, 150X ATP card for use in a Panasonic FZ30. Seems to work fine.A local dealer hinted that the card was much inferior to Hitachi. However, some detailed independent performance tests have suggested thatthe measured read/write speeds are very much faster than corresponding SanDisk and Lexarhigh speed cards. Also,others separately claim that cards soaked in water and even frozen in water, when thawed and simply wiped dry have immediately performed without any problem. I don't plan either to soak or to freeze the chip.Nevertheless, I am apprehensive about possible "infant mortality" of the chip on an upcoming trip. I've never had a problem with any of a dozen SD and xD cards from Lexar, SanDisk, Panasonic, or Olympus. They've stored several thousand images and have been repeatedly swapped betweendifferent cameras and in a 12-in-one SanDisk Reader.

Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:51 PM   #4

So far, so good. After three weeks and more than 500 images, no problem. The 150X card seems as fast as advertized when used with the FZ30. The card has been formatted, read and erased a dozen times out-of-camera using a SanDisk 12-in-1 reader. Download via USB is fast. I think negative comments were commercially biased. (I have neither dunked nor frozen the card in water as the manufacturer claims is possible without damage.) Responds rapidly in 3 and 5 image burst mode. Incidentally, the ergonomic design of the FZ30 is excellent.

PS.
After several thousand images, no problem with the 1GB ATP 150X PRO Chip. It seems, just as advertised and quantitatively tested, to be of exceptional speed and quality.

Unfortunate that memory card manufacturers do all not label their cards with the relative speed rating. The card speed really does matter. It strongly affects the reponse time of focussing and time interval between successive shots. That timing is critical in sports and nature photography. Ordinary cards that are sold by non-specialty stores take about three times as long to complete an action as the 150X Card. The best WEB price of the ATP 150X is comparable to local retail prices of much slower 60X or slower cards.