Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:14 PM   #1
mrb

WHAT CARD?

I will likely be purchasing a Canon S2 IS in the near future, and will also need a SD card. I assume that I should get a good size card (1 GB?), but I am not familiar with the different speeds. Do different manufacturers offer different speeds? What speed card should I get if I want to utilize video and burst mode on the S2?

PRICE?

Isaw a PQI 1GB Secure Digital (SD) Hi-Speed 60 (60X) on the internet for $27.50 after rebate. I have also seen this brand on several other websites. Is this an "off-brand" that should be avoided? If necessary, I would rather spend a few extra dollars for a more reliable card than lose my images on a cheap card.

At Circuit City, I saw the following SanDisk cards: 1 GB SD Ultra II $60 +tax after rebate, and 2GB SD Ultra II $102 +tax after rebate.

Amazon.com San Disk 2 GB Ultra II $76 after rebate

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:49 AM   #2

First off, I'm no expert with brand names. But I can tell you that Sandisk was recommended to me. So I ended up buying the 512MB Sandisk Ultra II from Circuit City when I bought my camera. I ideally would have liked to get a 1GB, but I just didn't have the money at the time with buying the camera and all. I hope that helps a little. BTW, I have the S2 IS. As a matter of fact I've now officially owned it a week! LOL!!! Best of luck to you.
ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:37 AM   #3
mrb

ecx350 - How much did you pay for the S2 at Circuit City? I thought I saw it at Circuit CIty online for $350, now it is $400.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:09 PM   #4

Quote:
ecx350 - How much did you pay for the S2 at Circuit City? I thought I saw it at Circuit CIty online for $350, now it is $400.
I got really lucky and got in their "web only" special they were having last week. I paid $339 for it. Last Saturday was the last day for that special and I saw it on sale the next day in the Sunday flier for $399 and knew I got a really good deal!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Have you done any searches online to see who has them for cheaper? Last I knew $339 was the cheapest online price.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cindi

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:38 PM   #5
mrb

I have done hours of online searching! There are a few that are around $300, but I don't trust them...

I just ordered it from Dell for $338 including tax, free shipping. I can't wait!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:50 AM   #6

Quote:
I have done hours of online searching! There are a few that are around $300, but I don't trust them...

I just ordered it from Dell for $338 including tax, free shipping. I can't wait!
Yeah there are some shady ones out there. I think you did great with your purchase from Dell. If you have half as much fun with yours as I'm having with mine you will be in for a treat. I have to admit, there are a lot of things to learn, but that's what makes it fun to me. I already had a Canon camera so I had an advantage as the menu and such are set up the same.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:32 AM   #7
mrb

I guess we got a little OT here ... any other recommendations on cards?

Now I see SanDisk SD Ultra II 1 GB at Dell for $47 with tax, and San Disk SD Ultra II 2 GB at Amazon for $81 after rebate.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:30 PM   #8

I've had the S2 since the release last May and I have been using a 256 mb (regular, not fast speed) card. I have been looking to upgrade to a 1 GB card X66 or X80 speed. I ordered from Zipzoomfly.com before and they are extremely fast with shipping. Newegg.com is also a good company to order from.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...oryCode=012805

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=68

After doing a ton of research I am seriously considering the RiDATA 1GB 66X.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183156

And the Transend 1GB X80. $10 rebate on zipzoomfly (cost after rebate $34.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163152

The RiDATA has over 120 good reviews and the Transend has over 50 good reviews. Both cards seem to be really good and priced good too.

Both Newegg and Zipzoomfly have decent pricing and Zipzoomfly has free shipping on most items.
bkstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:42 PM   #9

The more expensive cards are mainly for fast cameras (ie 5 fsp and 20 frames at a time) and are for uploading a bit faster to your computer.If your camera isnt that fast or you dont expect to take alot of pics in bursts (ie sport pics) then you really dont need to spend the difference on the faster cards,but if you dont think it is a big jump in money and can afford it go for it.I also reccoment at least 1 big card (1-2 gb) and several smaller cards (ie 512 mb) so if you are taking alot of pics on vacation or assignment then you dont want all your pics on the same card in case something happens.I have 2-512 mg Ultra II,1-1 gb Ultra II,and now a 2 gb Ultra II sandisk compact flash cards and a 128 mb pny card.The faster ones are for all my pics and the slower smaller 1 is for my macro photography of collectibles,as I dont need a big or fast card for this.I also have a DSLR Cannon 20D so I like the faster cards.

Hope this helps a bit.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:58 PM   #10
mrb

I got my S2 yesterday! Regarding memory cards, based on the tips from some here,I think I will purchase two cards to get started.A large, fast card (good for video and burst mode?) and a smaller, cheaper card (for a backup and additional storage). Any opinions??

PNY 512 MB - $20 after rebate from Staples. Does anyone know the speed of this card? I don't see it one the package or the PNY website. Will this card be sufficient for video and burst mode?

SanDisk 2 GB Ultra II - $71 after rebate from Amazon.com.