Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 7, 2002, 1:38 PM   #1

Default card reader file types

I have what may be a very very stupid question, but here goes anyway. Will CF media cards (or SM or Stick for that matter), store any file types other than picture (jpeg, tiff, etc). Can I store data files on them? I don't have a card reader yet, but surely someone has tried this.
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2002, 4:29 PM   #2

Yes, a CF card can be used to store any file type. With a card reader it is like any other drive, and you can treat it as another storage device. The nice thing is how compact the card is, but I don't believe people are using them to the extent possible yet, but I suspect that CF and SM slots will start showing up with computers as a standard option. Just my opinion, but the price will have to drop because CD's are super cheap storage units.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2002, 7:37 PM   #3

Yes, CD's are much cheaper. I was thinking of moving my daily working data files back and forth between home and the office every day. Disketts and CD's neither one fit in a pocket or even my purse very easily. Even in the plactic case these just don't take up much room. Just one more reason why I need a Card Reader (actually 2), but the office can buy 1. I'll still archive to a CD after each month is closed, but this is I think an under used feature. Do I need to make sure that they are identical readers? Or any other issues that I should watch for? Thanks for the info. AR
Old Jul 8, 2002, 11:14 PM   #4

Good question, but I dont think it would matter what card reader you use, the cards are standardised. I personally have a Sandisk reader and use different cards in it all the time. But in the past posts some have questioned what readers/cards people are using if the are having card problems. Maybe some are just not as good as others.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2002, 7:55 PM   #5

cf, sd, sm/mm, md, and microdrives are nothing more then mass storage devices. my gps uses secure digital cards to store the maps and other data such as waypoints. i can remove it and then use it to record pictures on any camera that supports SD. the same also goes with a Palm device or a pocket PC

[Edited on 7-10-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 7:34 AM   #6
NHL

A Ridge

I've really exploited this under used feature. What you'll find out is CD's are too slow and combersome when one has a lot of pictures... The CF (actually microdrive) are GREAT for Power Point presentations where theses files are extremely large and moving between different associate's laptops is its biggest asset! I can't imagine last minute editing if theses were done on CDrw...

I know I have broadband DSL and network PCs as well... but doing theses transfers from work will usually get you the friendly reminders from the IT department... Not to mention E-mail size limit or anonymous FTPs...

[Edited on 7-14-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 8:51 AM   #7

Yes, my point exactly. I don't have DSL/cable modem or the option for it.

What I want is a method of getting my daily working files offsite every single night, regardless of if I'm working at home or not. In the smallest possible package. CD and diskettes too big to fit easily in pocket or my purse. I use disketts right now (burner at home not work). CF just seemed to have lots of possiblity in my sitituation. For me it's a matter of physical size, not speed. I realise this is a little pricey but I don't need a lot of space for this, just need to make sure it happens every day I'm in the office.

I tried emailing my files back and forth, but my database package (Approach) gets flakey and will not open at the other end (even when I send the index, form, and data files). I am IT and therefore I can do anything I want, but your right in a lot of situations this would be a No No.

Thanks for info. The replys I've gotten only re-enforce the idea of using CF for data file portablility. AR